Egg gender selection survey

this thread is awesome!
if i ever hatch eggs it will be a fun experiment to see my female hatch percent for round eggs, tho it probably won't work
tongue.png

I would appreciate it if the critics would abstain from commenting on this thread. This is a survey set up for those who want to participate. I will not criticize your husbandry methods, George. I respectfully ask that you abstain from criticizing this experiment. Feel free to follow along. Feel free to participate if you can remain objective.
But Lazy, I am only reporting on previous experiments that I have carried on or else been privy to for about 60 years.

There is nothing wrong with those who wish trying to hatch misshapen eggs in the hope of choosing the sex of their chicks.

The one and only true thing about us humans is that hope springs eternal in the human heart.

JUST SAYING:

My advise is don't ignore that funny springy feeling in your heart, it may turnout to be a coronary event instead of an insight to a scientific breakthrough. So don't expect too much and than if you do succeed your success will be even sweeter.

There should be definite criteria setup about which eggs are little rooster eggs and which eggs are petite pullets eggs. To narrow the likely hood of natural variations creeping into the experiment only those egg shapes that meet or exceed 90% of the established criteria for each sex should be incubated regardless of how many eggs are precluded to reach this threshold. Furthermore every little day old chick should be permanently marked in such a way that totally eliminates any confusion about which type or shape of egg that chick emerged from. Next you must raise these experimental chicks until the pullets lay, or the roosters chase hens to be sure that your hens are hens and that your roosters are indeed roosters. The Lord knows that there are already enough questions on BYC about which chick is a cockerel and which is a pullet without misidentifying your experimental chickens. (a short cut can be fashioned by using sex linked eggs from a commercial hatchery laid ONLY by first generation hybrid crosses) once these eggs are hatched (in separate hatches) it will become plainly obvious if there is or if there is not any validity to this strategy. There again closely adhere to the established criteria of which shaped egg represents a hen and which egg shape represents a rooster.

Good luck.

I may try this next time with my Auto-sexing Rhodebars so we can tell how reliable it is a little bit quicker than regular breeds

Hey folks!

I created a google form survey that will allow us to simply export and analyze a spreadsheet of data.
If you have already submitted data through this thread, please re-submit into this form.
Click here to input your data or copy & paste the link below into your web browser.

How it works: Anyone can access the survey and submit as many responses as they'd like, but only @lazy gardener and I will be able to edit and export the data.
We ask that you provide your BYC username or email address so that we may follow up with questions about hatching and sexing techniques.
Also, please refrain from commenting in your response to each individual question to facilitate data analysis. Try to only input a number or percentage, and if a note is necessary, place an asterisk to direct us to the comments section.

If anyone has questions/technical issues with the form, please feel free to ask on this thread, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as possible.
For questions about the experiment in general, contact @lazy gardener , as this experiment was her idea and she will be taking the lead.

Enjoy!
D.gif

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1E-MWQjzyJkkRYXo8fMK0GsYtRIQHNqOzHYr7pqU8i0A/viewform
My thanks to Ashley for taking the time to do this! However, don't take the time to @lazy gardener me. I have that feature turned off on BYC. I am following this thread, and should be able to get back to you in a day or two. However, if I don't get back within 48 hours, please shoot me a PM. Thanks to all who participate. Best data collection (based on my experience) will be from clutches which are chosen to be either 100% male or 100% female shaped eggs. That will eliminate the need for banding or otherwise keeping male/female shaped eggs/chicks separate or banding chicks in the bator/brooder.

This is certainly not true
As I said in another thread I set 22 cream Legbar eggs
And 16 are now roosters
None of the eggs were pointed
I suppose this pointed egg rounded egg thing
Is an old wives tail

Quote:
Simple Definition of survey : to ask (many people) a question or a series of questions in order to gather information about what most people do or think about something : to look at and examine all parts of (something) : to measure and examine (an area of land) Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

And 16 are now roosters
Is an old wives tail

my experience:

NN eggs, mostly pointy and I got girls from less pointy eggs.

BCM eggs, all round, she has never laid any pointy egg, I got 2 boys and 2 girls.

my conclusion: if all the eggs has always the same shape sexing eggs is impossible. if the same hen lays different shape of eggs, it might help if we choose less pointy eggs for girls. this would be possible in small flocks where we can monitor chickens and their eggs.

following this thread to see other people's experience.

And 16 are now roosters
Is an old wives tail

Pointed vs. rounded is completely relative. I have hens that lay strictly round eggs and strictly pointy eggs. As it has been pointed out many times, it's advised to select based on the production of the hen. If the hen lays mostly round eggs, pay attention to slight variations within her own clutch. This is where the call for detailed ratios and measurements come in. There's so much variation if can be hard to tell.

If I took my blue copper maran's near-round eggs and incubated for female, and took my leghorn's pointy slim eggs and incubated for male, NO reasonable data could be drawn form the results. It just takes meticulous attention to detail and good record keeping to officially conclude the result!

I think people are taking too broad a picture here. When I chose my eggs to sep them based on m/f I actually MEASURED the eggs not classified based on appearance. Those that measure nearly the same or the same around width and length were called girl eggs. those that measured longer around the long way than around width were called boy eggs.
Of course I only have 1 live chick from that batch... so my stats are useless but for this you can't go by visually pointy or round you need to measure or it is far too subjective.

Now my 4 Legbar eggs are still needing to hatch and those I will know at hatch if I was right or wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom