Hatching Eggs Arriving

Kolbeslayadayinn

Chirping
Nov 7, 2023
Minnesota
When I made the decision to get chickens (its been 4 years) I decided instead of day old chicks from a Hatchery (like in the past) I'd do something different and try hatching eggs.
I went with 4 different breeds

My 1st group arrived today!
Welsummers (11 eggs)

I'll let these sit for 6 hours then set in incubator without turner on for another 6 hours

Orpingtons arriving tomorrow
Marans (will go in separate incubator) Monday and Cream Legbars in a week.

I will be buying day old chicks from a breeder of Silverrudd Blues, but not til May.

Side note: I'm over 50 and never incubated eggs, always hatched under a hen. So any tips, suggestions, dos and don'ts, ide appreciate it

Attachments

• 20240322_121047.jpg
    20240322_121047.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 26
When I made the decision to get chickens (its been 4 years) I decided instead of day old chicks from a Hatchery (like in the past) I'd do something different and try hatching eggs.
I went with 4 different breeds

My 1st group arrived today!
Welsummers (11 eggs)

I'll let these sit for 6 hours then set in incubator without turner on for another 6 hours

Orpingtons arriving tomorrow
To avoid a staggered hatch I'd start the Welsummer and Orpington at the same time.

Marans (will go in separate incubator) Monday and Cream Legbars in a week.
Since you have a separate incubator this could work. It might be close though. I's suggest you might wait an extra day to start the Marans eggs. The eggs need to go into lockdown where you stop turning and increase the humidity after 18 days of incubation. Hopefully the hatch will be over in the first incubator by the time you go into lockdown with the Marans eggs. That way you can clean the first incubator and switch one set of eggs to it when you go into lockdown with the Marans.

Staggered hatches can be a pain and can reduce your success. If you still can I'd suggest delaying getting viable Marans and Legbar eggs. Give yourself a bit of a cushion. Hatches don't always go when they should but can be a day or two early or late.

Thank you!
I ordered a Little Giant just for that purpose.

I also got my Marans eggs 2 days earlier, so I'll start the Orpingtons, Marans and Welsummers and ask the Cream Legbars to hold off another week or 2.

Attachments

• 20240323_102434.jpg
    20240323_102434.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240323_102442.jpg
    20240323_102442.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 3
Could I move eggs into an incubator just for lockdown which would possibly make staggering easier?
This is how I usually always incubate and hatch eggs. Designated incubators and designated hatcher, as it keeps incubators clean always running and can set eggs every 7 days. Only have to clean hatcher every week and add new set for hatching. As @Ridgerunner stated.

So I didn’t account for the sellers sending me 3 to 4 extra and have too many eggs for my 2 incubators.
One holds 12 (Amazon purchase) and the other 22 (NurtureRight 360)
So, I ran to my dad's and got his little giant (still air), sanitized it and plugged it in.
Marans will go in the NurtureRight and I'll set the Orpingtons and Welsummers in the little giant.

I've done some reading and decided to go this way with the Marans.
They are incredibly hard to candle.
I've got them propped upright in the NurtureRight for 3 days, then will lay on side and turn on the turner.

Temp 99.5 Humidity 46%

(Minnesota with wood stove, it's dry in here)

Attachments

• 20240323_163758.jpg
    20240323_163758.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom