Egg got rolled- now isn’t moving

Pippingchick

Hatching
Jul 5, 2023
Hi, after some reassurance. Eggs are on 21 days today. 1 is just unzipping after having pippedyesterday. Yesterday the incubator got knocked and caused one egg to roll. The egg was moving yesterday and I’d hoped it would have pipped but it seems to have stoped moving now 😢. Could the accidental roll have be fatal?

It might be, but don't give up!
I'm a beginner at incubating, just hatched my first 8 chicks last week. The first hatched at 20 days, very quick from 1st pip to running around. The next 6 were normal, hatching over the next 8 hours at 21 days, then there were two that were pipping and zipping, but nothing happened for 1+ more days. I had given up, put the 7 chicks in the brooder, turned off the incubator and went to bed, then was woken up by loud chirping. I thought it was the chicks, but it turned out to be one more tying to hatch - after having been silent for 12 hours! I had to gently help it out of the egg - I know we're not supposed to do that, but since I'd turned off the incubator, the membrane had dried out and was stuck to the chick in places, so though it only had a small chance, it definitely would have died if I'd not helped it out of the egg and gently rinsed off the stuck pieces with warm water.
Amazingly, it has survived! It was very weak at first and now only half the size of the others, so we have it in its own brooder, but it's fluffed up, eating and drinking, running around and looking good.
Out of all the dead eggs, there were several infertile ones, but 3 that were developed but never made it out of their shells. Two still had yolk sacs, but another was fully developed and might have had a chance to survive if I'd been more patient.
I think part of the reason was because when the first chicks hatched, they were walking over all the other eggs and turning them.
So don't give up! What I would do, after my experience but still a beginner, is wait another day, put the chicks you have in the brooder, take out any eggs with no pips at all, and give the slow ones another day or two.

Also, I'm sure more experienced people than me could give you advice on the right position to place your slower eggs.
And, I am so glad I bought some "chick boost" while I was buying other things at the feed store - I'm convinced it helped our tiny chick survive and get stronger.

Eggs in a nest get rolled by mom and the hatching chicks. Some put things in the incubator to keep the rolling to a minimum. Hatching chicks take many rest breaks. Chicks in the same nest can hatch a couple days apart. An incubator has more variation so chicks hatching a few days apart isn't uncommon. I personally candle eggs to see if the chicks are alive. Others leave the incubator going a couple days after the others hatch in case there are stragglers.

Eggs in a nest get rolled by mom and the hatching chicks. Some put things in the incubator to keep the rolling to a minimum. Hatching chicks take many rest breaks. Chicks in the same nest can hatch a couple days apart. An incubator has more variation so chicks hatching a few days apart isn't uncommon. I personally candle eggs to see if the chicks are alive. Others leave the incubator going a couple days after the others hatch in case there are stragglers.
At this stage, how can you tell if the chick is still alive with candling? I've got 7 eggs that haven't pipped after three fully hatched yesterday. I tried candling and they look like they did when I locked them down but I couldn't see movement at lockdown or now. I still see veins though, I just don't know what I'm looking for.

At this stage, how can you tell if the chick is still alive with candling? I've got 7 eggs that haven't pipped after three fully hatched yesterday. I tried candling and they look like they did when I locked them down but I couldn't see movement at lockdown or now. I still see veins though, I just don't know what I'm looking for.
If you see veins then the chicks are alive, just not yet ready to hatch. You may not be able to see movement until the chick internally pips; then you will be able to see its beak in the air sac. If you hold an egg with the pointed side down and shine a flashlight into the top of the egg, a chick that has internally pipped will often reach upwards towards the light.

Back
Top Bottom