Egg hunt, Where is she laying?

frankensusan

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Escondido, CA
Arrgh. I love my black cochin. She's super young, just started laying a month ago, was going at 1 every other day which I dutifully collected (oops!). Now she's hiding her eggs or not laying. I thought I looked everywhere in her run area... Do they cover their nests if they are free ranging? I'm thinking of attaching a tiny chicken camera to her so I can find out where she's going. I keep getting up early and trying to wake up before her to follow her around.. She's very sneaky.

Going to put a decoy egg back in her nest box today to see if she'll come back to the box.

smile.png

Happy Egg Hunting!

Susan

She may have stopped laying. Mine were laying very well all winter (and it's really cold here) and the past 2 weeks since it's warmed up they have almost stopped laying. Several other people are reporting this also. I have no idea why they have stopped, but maybe you're a victim of this strike too!

WOoh Hoo! I put a decoy egg in a couple of days ago and today she added to her nest box!

I think she wasn't laying. I seriously scoured the yard looking and didn't find any nests elsewhere. I was a little worried I had night theivery going on, a racoon has been raiding trash cans in our area...

I'm so please with her. Maybe me bringing her extra treats the last two days helped too, even though she barely ate any of the cottage cheese, I think she appreciated the effort. Today.. Mealworms!

smile.png

I wonder why so many chickens went on strike when the weather warmed up, you'd think it would be the other way around?

Happy chickens everyone!

Susan

Back
Top Bottom