Egg laying

missy1971

Songster
Dec 27, 2016
Harris County Georgia
At what age should I set up laying boxes in the coop? my 2 oldest hens are 15 weeks, the rest range from 8-10 weeks. When I was building the coop I went ahead and put them in, but all the chicks decided they wanted to play and roost in them, so I took them out. However I did leave the table they go on, and they sit on that a lot. Do I need to move all of it or just build another, less familiar table , and move it to another area of the coop?

At what age should I set up laying boxes in the coop? my 2 oldest hens are 15 weeks, the rest range from 8-10 weeks. When I was building the coop I went ahead and put them in, but all the chicks decided they wanted to play and roost in them, so I took them out. However I did leave the table they go on, and they sit on that a lot. Do I need to move all of it or just build another, less familiar table , and move it to another area of the coop?

I put my nesting boxes in when I build my coops. I do not allow them to Roost in the nesting boxes. With your set-up I would get them in soon then make sure they do not roost in them---then they will be ready for the first layers.

How do I make sure they don't roost in them? I check on them before i go to bed, then when I go to let them out in the morning the 2 oldest are on them

You go out there just after dark with a dim light and place them on their roost. You might have to do this 2 or 3 nights in a row----they will get the message. No light burning at night----chickens will not get off their roost to go some where else to roost if they can not see. At first light they will move around, but if you are letting them out early that should not be a problem. Fix a lean board over the top of the nesting boxes so they can not stand on top of them.

Last edited:

How do I make sure they don't roost in them? I check on them before i go to bed, then when I go to let them out in the morning the 2 oldest are on them

You go out there just after dark with a dim light and place them on their roost. You might have to do this 2 or 3 nights in a row----they will get the message. No light burning at night----chickens will not get off their roost to go some where else to roost if they can not see. At first light they will move around, but if you are letting them out early that should not be a problem. Fix a lean board over the top of the nesting boxes so they can not stand on top of them.

I will do thAt tonight! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom