Egg problems with my 11 month RIR (pics)

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y'all!

My RIR pullet Dionne is having some weird laying issues. She used to lay every day back when she started laying (from about 6 months to about 9 months) but her laying is very intermittent now. In the past month, I noticed that whenever she lays there's always something odd about the egg. I got a fairy egg, thin shelled, perfectly round, ginormous (like XL when she lays a M at most usually), pointy, calcium pimples, body checked/wrinkly, and spots of pigment when she usually lays solid tan eggs. My girls get oyster shell and occasionally baked eggshells. They get Nature's Best Organic Layer Feed every morning, and free range all day until sundown. They also get rice, vegetables and meat scraps in small amounts VERY rarely from the kitchen.

Today, I got a very thin shelled, small, pointy egg. I candled it and saw bubbles inside floating around. They aren't visible in any pics, but there was a big nickel sized one then smaller ones around it.I cracked it open and the yolk was very large and there was a meat spot and some blood spots by the yolk. What could be going on with this girlie? No signs of internal laying.

Here are some pics of the egg and the contents:
0-4.jpg

0-5.jpg

0-2.jpg

0-3.jpg

0-1.jpg

TIA!

Probably she's just ironing out new layer kinks. If it persists or gets worse, she might have a virus that's messing with her reproductive system.

One thing that's very benign you can try is giving her a calcium tablet for a couple of days. It might jolt her system back into the right gear. I use calcium citrate, but any calcium supplement would work.

Probably she's just ironing out new layer kinks. If it persists or gets worse, she might have a virus that's messing with her reproductive system.

One thing that's very benign you can try is giving her a calcium tablet for a couple of days. It might jolt her system back into the right gear. I use calcium citrate, but any calcium supplement would work.
Is this in pellet, crumble, or cracked grain form?
Any other birds having 'weird egg' issues?
Hey y'all! I know this thread is old, but she's still having egg issues. I came out to two days in a row of yolk stains in the nest box, then a long, thin shelled egg today and pale comb/wattles/face. I did just discover a red mite infestation- can that trigger egg issues? Both of my other layers are laying beautiful, big, thick and rosy-tan eggs.

TIA!

Absolutely! Mites are not only very stressful to chickens, but they directly affect chickens' health by reducing their blood volume and platelets.

You need a poultry safe insecticide, either permethrin or spinodsad without any petroleum distillates added, as that would render it toxic. Spray into all crevices and anywhere that wood pieces join other pieces, those should be loosened to get the insecticide where the mites will be hiding.

Back
Top Bottom