Pullet laid 2 eggs then stopped

vmcdonald

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2024
We bought a POL Marans pullet at 7 months old. She laid her first egg after only a couple days in our care, but the shell was super soft. I came in the coop (I had a feeling she was going to lay) and much to my disappointment the egg had been opened and eaten by her and some others. It was obvious who participated because their beaks were covered in yolk 😭

2 days later, she laid an egg before we came to open the coop in the morning. It was soft but unscathed.

It has now been 10+ days and not an egg to be found. I check on them very often and Donna (the Marans in question) hasn’t been singing her egg song or making any noise/behaviour indicating she has layed. The other time she layed in the day it was very obvious she was going to.

All of that to say, is it normal she has stopped laying? Apparently the rest of her breeding group hasn’t started laying yet. She otherwise seems in great health, energetic with good comb colour, eating as normal.

Attachments

• IMG_5652.jpeg
    IMG_5652.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
All of that to say, is it normal she has stopped laying?
Hi there, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

It can be sporadic at first.. so what you describe is not uncommon.. even the softee (new layer) hiccups.. *may* not be indicative of dietary need but of the reproductive system coming on line and working itself out.. and may vary by individual.

All birds will participate in eating a happy accident, when they're anywhere near the party, and someone shows excitement.. the competition is on and it's a free for all.
The other time she layed in the day it was very obvious she was going to.
This is also *often* the case, so much fun!

I don't see any copper. on her.. which is also not uncommon though (maybe) not preferred (IMO) for "breeding"., huh, ya know I just realized you never said what variety.. and I'm leaving this comment to show how easily so many of us (note to self) jump to conclusions and spew our "opinions"! I also assume French standard feathered legs, which never makes it true per say. :oops:

I do also agree with the first poster.. assuming diet is correct.. which is partly subjective regarding protein content but needs to include a calcium source for active layers.. I'm not sure of your knowledge or experience level and try not to presume anything. With new layers their body would sacrifice it's own calcium to make solid eggs.. so that's actually one pointer towards standard new layer hiccups.

Congrats on your new birds and teaser eggs. Do you have older birds laying or fake eggs in the nest to show them where to lay and help detour curiosity pecks.

I agree that she looks bright and beautiful! :love

I agree with the others. Assuming that your chickens are getting fed the proper amount and proper kind of feed, your pullet is only undergoing stress from being somewhere new. That can explain why she is laying abnormal eggs but is healthy in every other way!

Hi there, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

It can be sporadic at first.. so what you describe is not uncommon.. even the softee (new layer) hiccups.. *may* not be indicative of dietary need but of the reproductive system coming on line and working itself out.. and may vary by individual.

All birds will participate in eating a happy accident, when they're anywhere near the party, and someone shows excitement.. the competition is on and it's a free for all.

This is also *often* the case, so much fun!

I don't see any copper. on her.. which is also not uncommon though (maybe) not preferred (IMO) for "breeding"., huh, ya know I just realized you never said what variety.. and I'm leaving this comment to show how easily so many of us (note to self) jump to conclusions and spew our "opinions"! I also assume French standard feathered legs, which never makes it true per say. :oops:

I do also agree with the first poster.. assuming diet is correct.. which is partly subjective regarding protein content but needs to include a calcium source for active layers.. I'm not sure of your knowledge or experience level and try not to presume anything. With new layers their body would sacrifice it's own calcium to make solid eggs.. so that's actually one pointer towards standard new layer hiccups.

Congrats on your new birds and teaser eggs. Do you have older birds laying or fake eggs in the nest to show them where to lay and help detour curiosity pecks.

I agree that she looks bright and beautiful! :love
Thank you so much for the thoughtful response! She has verrry little copper, but yes feathered feet. Her egg was a beautiful dark brown. She is the eldest of 9 pullets that I have, with the youngest being only 7-8 weeks old. Golf balls are in the lay boxes to encourage laying there. Per the recommendation of the lady at our local farm supply store, for our mixed age flock I am feeding grower crumble and supplementing with crushed oyster shell on the side. Is that fine? We are adding a young roo this weekend, and I was going to stay with the same feed until he and the other youngest pullet are old enough for pellets.

Attachments

• IMG_5660.jpeg
    IMG_5660.jpeg
    643.5 KB · Views: 11
Golf balls are in the lay boxes to encourage laying there.
Assuming that your females are new to laying and that is why you have golf balls there, you can take the golf balls out once all of your females understand that it is a good nesting location. If there are multiple fake eggs, golf balls, or other circular/oval objects to encourage laying, then a female might go broody on them if you leave them in there for too long. A hormonal female seeing a clutch of eggs will cause her to become broody.

Assuming that your females are new to laying and that is why you have golf balls there, you can take the golf balls out once all of your females understand that it is a good nesting location. If there are multiple fake eggs, golf balls, or other circular/oval objects to encourage laying, then a female might go broody on them if you leave them in there for too long. A hormonal female seeing a clutch of eggs will cause her to become broody.
In some cases it's better to leave the golf balls, some birds get upset if they get removed as it makes the nest seem unsafe.

Birds that are going to go broody will do so regardless if there's anything in the box. That said, I only leave 1 golf ball per nest box now, but that's more to reduce the amount of stuff rolling around in the most popular nest.

for our mixed age flock I am feeding grower crumble and supplementing with crushed oyster shell on the side. Is that fine?
Sounds excellent. Those eggs are starting out beautiful!

We are adding a young roo this weekend, and I was going to stay with the same feed until he and the other youngest pullet are old enough for pellets.
Pellets are a shape/size not a nutritional value.. "layer" pellets are never appropriate for roosters since they have excess calcium for non laying birds.

Flock raiser, or grower pellets are a good choice, still with the oyster shell free choice (as much as they want) on the side. Boys and juveniles may sample some.. but not usually consume in excess, long term.

Best wishes for success with your addition.. he's got a couple things working against him.. his age (described as young), the age of your flock (still being young), and your inexperience.. it *can* be hard for them boys to find balance especially if hand raised and described as "friendly". BUT, is that helpful information or fear mongering and more opinions?! I have great expectations for your success and adventure awaits! :wee

Assuming that your females are new to laying and that is why you have golf balls there, you can take the golf balls out once all of your females understand that it is a good nesting location. If there are multiple fake eggs, golf balls, or other circular/oval objects to encourage laying, then a female might go broody on them if you leave them in there for too long. A hormonal female seeing a clutch of eggs will cause her to become brood
Madness, you say there..(in the most friendly, giggly manner) :cool:

No amount of collecting eggs will stop a hormonal hen from going broody! They will go broody on the egg they lay that day, and even when removed will brood air, in MY experience.. and keep running back to an empty nest. :he

And no amount of leaving eggs in the nest will cause a NON hormonal hen to do such a thing.. That's why people are always trying to figure out how to make their hens broody.

I for one, have not YET in hundreds of birds had a middle grounder.. that was tipped either way by fake eggs or anything else in our environment. Genetics was the MAIN if not only condition with influence on broody-ness level that I can put a finger on.. and individual above alleged "breed" proneness.

Destroying a nest by collecting all the eggs.. *can* cause them to search elsewhere to lay a hidden nest. Please note doesn't mean will, mileage always varies depending on free ranging, individuals, weather pattern, etc. None are hiding nests here during the rain season.. but come nice weather.. all bets are off if someone finds a good place.

I never remove my fake eggs, unless for cleaning or replacement. I've even had them stolen and gnawed on by rats in a prior set up.. the evidence they were present.. even though my feed and eggs were collected nightly and there were no other clues.

We all have reasons why we do what we do. I'm glad we're able to share our various thoughts.. though I know it can be a lot to weed through regarding any subject. :highfive:

Last edited:
Best wishes for success with your addition.. he's got a couple things working against him.. his age (described as young), the age of your flock (still being young), and your inexperience.. it *can* be hard for them boys to find balance especially if hand raised and described as "friendly". BUT, is that helpful information or fear mongering and more opinions?! I have great expectations for your success and adventure awaits!
Thank you! I’m a bit nervous but I live in an area with lots of chicken owners and have made some connections that have given good advice. You are right, he is very young (like 8ish weeks old) as is about half of the flock, but not all. I am a bit worried about the 7m old being a bully! The girls finally have worked things out so I’m not looking forward to a shake-up.

In some cases it's better to leave the golf balls, some birds get upset if they get removed as it makes the nest seem unsafe.

Birds that are going to go broody will do so regardless if there's anything in the box. That said, I only leave 1 golf ball per nest box now, but that's more to reduce the amount of stuff rolling around in the most popular nest.
I know birds will go broody on nothing, but it is more likely for them to start thinking about becoming a dam after they see a good amount of eggs in a nest. I never saw where the OP stated exactly how many golf balls they have in the nest.

Back
Top Bottom