Egg production drop off

timot1949

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
I live in Northern Michigan. I have 32 chickens, assorted breeds. A month ago I only had 28 chickens 1-3 years old. They were laying 17-23 eggs per day. 3-4 weeks ago we had some very hot days and I added 4 one year old chickens to the flock. We have continued (like most of the country) to have very warm weather. Egg production has dropped off to 10-13 eggs per day. The color of the yolk seems to be paler, not the deep rich color I usually see. Throughout the hot weather, the chickens have always had plenty of fresh water. They are not in direct sunlight as their coop is back among the pines behind the house. Also, two of the hens are brooding right now.

Over the past two years I have not seen this sudden drop in production in the summer. I have seen it when they molt and in the winter it drops of some but this surprises me. Any thoughts from anyone?

Tim

do you let them free range? Cause when mine have a sudden drop off, they have a secret nest?

If they are not laying, it is almost always a sign of stress somewhere.

Also, perhaps, limit the scratch. Are they fat? Because fat chickens will take the heat less well.

The heat is stressing mine, but I might have one to two days of less production, but then comes back up.

MrsK

No, they do not free range. Once in a while I let them out but only once in a while. There yard is about 180 x 270. I would not say they are fat either. I don't know if introducing the new chickens stressed them along with the heat but I have added new chickens before without any noticeable egg drop off.

Thanks for the reply.

My egg production is definitely affected by the heat. I think the lack of rain has something to do with the drop. We have been unseasonably hot and dry in New York. I have 6 laying hens right now. On days in the mid 80's and above, they lay less eggs, probably 3 or 4. When the days are low 80's and below, I get 5 or 6 a day. The only thing I can contribute it to is the heat.

Also, my eggs are definitely paler this summer and I thought it was a change in food only, but I am starting to think it was the food AND the heat. Someone once said on this site that chickens are not vending machines and that helped put me at ease with my egg production. They are not machines that produce, produce, produce... They are living creatures that are affected by their surrounding just as we are.

Sal

Good point and I agree they are not vending machines. Mostly just curious as to the change. We have had chickens for 3 years now, so there are some things I have learned and lots that I have yet to learn. Just have not seen this drop of before.

Thanks for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom