Egg Situation

stokesdalefunnyfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Stokesdale, NC
OK. My hens have been laying for about 2 weeks now...it increases every day as more of the hens start laying. I have 10 hens. 4 Rocks, 2 Brahmas, 3 Golden Comets and 1 Jersey Giant ( I think). For the most part all of the chickens lay brown eggs in the box just as I would expect. One day, I had a very light brown, maybe even white egg that was in the box cracked. I haven't seen anything like that same egg until today, when I noticed an egg in the middle of the coop which was the same color. One the fact that the color is different than the others and I understand from my research that my hens lay brown eggs and the fact that it was laying in the middle of the coop, both of these things seem to raise red flags. Am I correct or am I worrying for no reason?

Thanks!!

Jonathan
idunno.gif

Are you sure that they were all laying? I had one that took longer to lay than all the others, and when she started, she laid them in weird places at first, but then she got the hang of it a started laying in the proper place. Maybe that would explain the different color too? I have an EE that lays brown eggs and they are supposed to lay blue, green or pinkish. So maybe this very light brown one is just different, or maybe she'll get the color right in a while. And...the fact that it was thin and cracked is also normal for a chickens first eggs. My silkie just started laying and her first one was cracked, her second one was thin and translucent (almost like a pingpong ball), but by her 3rd, it was all fixed.

No worry.

Last edited:
Well...No, I'm sure they're not all laying. Between both of your answers, it makes sense. I've never seen the Brahams in the box. The others seem like they are machines, esp the Golden Comets. I'm new to this chicken business. It started out that my fiance and her daughters wanted the cute little chicks at Tractor Supply in the Spring. After building a huge coop and spending quite a bit of time with the chickens, I seem to be a little addicted now!
celebrate.gif

I've had hens that just all of a sudden started laying lighter brown eggs. I have had hens that just all of a sudden started laying in a different place. I could be wrong but I think it is all normal. It has never become a major problem with my hens at all, they all are still healthy and laying good eggs. This is just my experience though and more opinions may be more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom