Egg stamping

lynviviana

Chirping
Jul 4, 2021
what is your opinion on egg stamping? I saw somewhere online it’s not safe due to the actual stamp caring bacteria. Also, does it have to be egg safe? or is that a preference? feel free to educate me. Thanks in advance.

Any device used again and again, egg after egg, is a cross-contamination risk, spreading the "ick" on one, potentially, to many others.

The same could be said of the scrubby, washcloth, loofa, whatever we use to clean our eggs. Or the water used to wash or rinse them.

One of the reasons the USDA wants us to spritz with sanitizer and air dry - not dunk in sanitizer - after cleaning the egg (and removing much of the bloom).

Is it possible??? YES.

Is it likely? Depends on your other sanitation.

Like everything else, its a matter of risk management. I'd favor an alcohol based, food grade ink *IF* I was to do it.

That said, WHY do it? Branding and Date coding are things I can do with my plastic egg flats - which are both reuseable and easily sanitized - which is why I bought plastic egg flats. If you are in a "carton" state, the same can be done on your cartons.

So I would not do it, because it serves no purpose that I am aware of.

what is your opinion on egg stamping? I saw somewhere online it’s not safe due to the actual stamp caring bacteria. Also, does it have to be egg safe? or is that a preference? feel free to educate me. Thanks in advance.
Here is a link to a thread I posted about stamped eggs, just for eye candy, not for date or use ...... Food grade ink, and a wet wipe and dry between uses satisfies me for cross contamination, not to mention getting a clear print. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-good-position-to-be-in.1441521/

The fever for the stamped eggs waned as the summer progressed, but I still stamp a few here and there, and use the "Biohazard" stamp as a "use me first" marker for any eggs that I have washed the bloom off of.

I only sell eggs on certain days of the week, but one neighbor gal :love would always come early, and pick her eggs by color and stamp !!!

I know people do it with hstching eggs to tell breeds apart, but ive mever sren smyone stamp eggs outside of Easter
No importance to it.. just a fun way to sell my girls eggs. I already purchased the stamp egg safe ink but maybe ill consider just stamping the egg carton instead... not sure still have to dig into further research.

Back
Top Bottom