Egg storage temperature question - is this true?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I just read something on a facebook chicken group that I hadn't heard before (and I have a lot of chicken experience). BYC has a lot more experienced folks and a lot more (reliable) collective knowledge than facebook though, so I want to hear your thoughts. I read that, in the winter, when it's cold enough outside to be near refrigerator temperature, you shouldn't bring eggs into room temperature and leave them on the counter like the rest of the year, but they should go directly into the refrigerator and stay there until ready to use. I asked why, and there were varying answers... Some people say that the resulting condensation compromises the bloom's protective properties, other people say it's nothing to do with the bloom, but the fats in the egg go rancid when there's a change in temperature like that, specifically from cold to less cold. Both theories sound plausible, but not convincing. Is this true? Do you refrigerate all your eggs in the winter? I've never heard this before, never refrigerated backyard eggs in any season unless they had to be washed for some reason (too poopy, etc.) My flock is small and eggs don't sit around long before being eaten, so I just have no need for refrigeration anyway. I've been adding new pullets every year for the past few years, so I have some eggs throughout winter. I collect once or twice a day (and don't let them overnight in the nests), bring them either into the basement (mid-50's) or in the house on the counter (mid 60's) until ready to cook. I've never seen condensation on the eggs. Never had any issues with bad eggs, people getting sick etc. I always cook the eggs all the way through, if I want to make mayonnaise or hollandaise sauce I sous vide the eggs first to make sure they are safe. Should I be worried?

1701184569508.jpeg

My house is so darn dry in the winter (20% RH right now), that condensation doesn't form on any eggs I bring inside. I'm curious as to what others think.
We have a forced air heating system and our house is really dry in the winter, too, around 15-17%. Maybe that's why, but I've never seen condensation on the eggs.

I have often wondered about this. I think the general thought here is that if you wash an egg, you wash it in water a little warmer than the egg so that it doesn't suck anything back in through the porous shell - so would that be the same thing as going from cold outside to warm inside?

I've never much worried about it, but I do wonder! 🤔

I have often wondered about this. I think the general thought here is that if you wash an egg, you wash it in water a little warmer than the egg so that it doesn't suck anything back in through the porous shell - so would that be the same thing as going from cold outside to warm inside?

I've never much worried about it, but I do wonder! 🤔
The egg washing temperature thing is a whole separate matter I've been wondering about, too, and thinking of starting a new thread to see what people think. But in this case bringing the eggs in would simulate the recommended washing with warm water - the insides of the egg expand when warmed up and push things out, as opposed to sucking them in through the pores. So by that logic, it would be a good thing to bring eggs in and leave them on the counter, which is the opposite of what the recommendation in question says (do not leave on counter but put in fridge instead, so there would be no temperature difference).

If i were lucky enough to have hens laying in the winter, I would note whether or no there was condensation on those I brought in, and if so, refrigerate them. My glasses fog up when I come in. But we have no eggs to test this on….

If i were lucky enough to have hens laying in the winter, I would note whether or no there was condensation on those I brought in, and if so, refrigerate them. My glasses fog up when I come in. But we have no eggs to test this on….
If you buy and eat eggs in the winter, you can always test this by bringing eggs out of your fridge and leaving them on the counter for a while. I get very few eggs in the winter, because I only rely on the couple of new pullets while everybody else is on winter break, so I usually buy to supplement. Some recipes call for room temperature eggs, so I've left eggs on the counter to come to temperature, and have never found condensation on those either. But like I said, our house is very dry... So, like they say, "your experience may vary" :lol:

I really like this question. In general, I subscribe to the idea that food should stay at its existing temp or colder. One pullet lays at 4:30am, so by the time I get to the egg around 7, it's practically frozen if she hasn't been sleeping on it. Those always go right in the fridge. If I wanted to enjoy a room temp egg, I'd wait for my late morning layer and retrieve asap.

Unless the egg is covered in droppings, you're probably fine doing whatever you want (within reason). And this is coming from a certified germaphobe! 😅

Some day I'll have a rollaway nest box with a heated egg mat in the collection tray. THAT is a life of luxury!

I think the condensation theory could be valid, but when I had winter eggs I never saw any condensation due to dry winter air in house. Never got sick either.

Same goes for the refrigerated eggs I now have to buy at the grocery and store in fridge, I take them out a couple hours before cooking because I don't like cooking(scrambled or fried) cold eggs.

Back
Top Bottom