Egg Thief

chickenman111

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
Here, there, and everywhere
So far this year I have found squirrels stealing eggs and a snake stealing eggs. The squirrels would leave bits of egg shell outside the pen or carry them in the woods. The snake of course ate the eggs whole. today I went out there and only had 2 eggs (I average 14-18 eggs a day. I also found 2 smashed eggs behind the boxes. what am I dealing with now, is it just clumsy squirrels or something else. any advice will be appreciated.

Man, I'm dealing with the same thing. I usually get 7-9 eggs a day and am down to none or 1-2 a day. I found a hole in the barn (I keep my chickens in one of the stalls) it's kind of big, bigger than a rat hole. I've set a live trap, but have no idea what I'm dealing with. I did catch a squirrel in there the other day too. He managed to get the lid off of the sunflower seeds and was having a feast. Luckily no attacks on the chickens yet. No traces of broken eggs, so I think whatever it is is picking up or eating them whole. Any ideas? I'm in Oregon, by the way.

Man, I'm dealing with the same thing. I usually get 7-9 eggs a day and am down to none or 1-2 a day. I found a hole in the barn (I keep my chickens in one of the stalls) it's kind of big, bigger than a rat hole. I've set a live trap, but have no idea what I'm dealing with. I did catch a squirrel in there the other day too. He managed to get the lid off of the sunflower seeds and was having a feast. Luckily no attacks on the chickens yet. No traces of broken eggs, so I think whatever it is is picking up or eating them whole. Any ideas? I'm in Oregon, by the way.
Probably a squirrel or snake. Squirrels might leave a little eggshell outside of the barn. Snakes leave no trace of the eggs. Seeing as your down to so few eggs your probably dealing with a snake. They can eat 4-6 eggs at a time and leaves no trace. There's almost no way to prevent them from getting in. If you see it you probably will have to shoot it to keep it from stealing more eggs. Let me know if you need more help. Good Luck

.. your probably dealing with a snake. They can eat 4-6 eggs at a time and leaves no trace. ...
Really? Day after day? If so, I need to change my strategy.

We've had eggs being eaten and the worst offenders have been other chickens. Hard to prove because a hen loitering by a nesting box looks innocent.

Back
Top Bottom