Egg washing method

I squirt a little anti-bacterial dish detergent on my eggs(while in a bowl)cover w hot tap water, swish around and rinse w hot running water then dry on paper towel. Refrigerate. Eggs are yummy, no problems and no complaints from customers.

Quote:
It's fairly simple math to get to the parts per million equivalent.

Regular bleach at 5.25% is 52500 ppm. Divide by 288 and you get 182 ppm.

Ultra bleach at 6% concentration is 60000 ppm. Divide by 288 and you get 208 ppm.

My girls have only been laying for a few weeks but so far all I've had to do is brush off the hay or shaving that gets stuck sometimes. I've had a few that might be a little gross with some poop stuck on, but if that's the case I'd just rinse them before using them. I don't think thoroughly washing them is necessary if you are eating your own eggs (unless they are disgusting) but I would wash them if I sold them, just as a courtesy to the other person. No one wants to buy food that look unappealing, ya know?

There is nothing wrong with using bleach in a properly diluted amount. It's been used in the food industry safely for decades. The dishes that you eat your food off of from fine dining restaurants have gone through a sanitation cycle which at times may or may not contain bleach solution. Sometimes people forget bleach is not just for the laundry room I think.

At any rate, you're not exactly steeping the eggs in bleach for an extended period of time. It should be a few seconds at most, and only to take care of whatever microbes you don't see. Your methods described in your original post are spot on. You're cleaning it under clean tap, dipping in the solution, then rinsing in clean tap again to air dry.

I found this site (ask a scientist) and found that a 1% solution (regular household vinegar is 5%) solution is sufficient to disinfect for salmonella on egg surfaces. Since a 1% solution is still fairly strong (3.2 oz vinegar5% + 12.8oz water = 16oz 1% solution), I would rinse with clean water just as well.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00100.htm

I just want to clarify. I never said there's anything WRONG with using bleach. Some people are allergic. I don't like using it. I don't use it in my laundry either. It's also not necessary to use any cleaner at all with eggs, but the OP asked for ideas, and I was giving one OTHER than bleach.

Quote:
Duly noted!
wink.png

I'm not an egg washer myself. Bleach or vinegar, it's essential that the user know how to use them properly, especially if we're talking eggs that are to be sold to third parties. I wasn't very familiar with using vinegar for washing myself, and was comforted to know per the link I provided in the previous post that for egg washing, the concentration should be at 1% solution for the reduction of salmonella.

As far as it being a potential allergen, the egg shouldn't have enough residue due to the short wash and rinse afterward to cause problems. It's not 100% fool proof of course, but... then again there are people with vinegar allergies too sooooooo.....

I wash only when I am about to use the eggs or sell them. does anyone know what the egg wash powerder is that you can buy and has anyone tried it? I was looking into the powder and making a egg wash bucket for I cant justify paying over 120 bucks just for the kit, plus I have to ship it in from out of town.

Back
Top Bottom