Egg with Blood around outside

BREKEN

In the Brooder
May 31, 2016
Will post pic in next post. I got an egg today covered in fresh bright red blood. I do have some hens that are new layers so I didn't know if this possibly could just be from a new layer or if I should watch for something else. Stools and demeanor in the coop seem perfectly normal.

It happens sometimes, especially with newer layers. They may not be "stretched out" yet and pop a vessel. If it's not happening all the time, I wouldn't worry about it.

Very normal w/ new layers, I still get those occasional when they lay extra large eggs.
Do you know if the egg would still be good for hatching as it is? I assume washing it would cause issues with hatch. I know dirty eggs are not as desired for hatching

How many eggs are you getting? Are you planning to set eggs soon? Is it necessary to set this egg? I think that I'd leave this one out of the bator. Wash that one and have it for breakfast.

How many eggs are you getting? Are you planning to set eggs soon? Is it necessary to set this egg? I think that I'd leave this one out of the bator. Wash that one and have it for breakfast.
X3.....especially if it's from a new layer, hatching pullet eggs can be problematic.

Last edited:
How many eggs are you getting?  Are you planning to set eggs soon?  Is it necessary to set this egg?  I think that I'd leave this one out of the bator.  Wash that one and have it for breakfast.  

I am getting 3 to 6 eggs a day from my 8 hens. All other eggs have been mostly clean and good. I won't be hatching that egg, we'll I actually don't even have an incubator yet. That's my next goal.

Here is a pic of eggs from last few days. All unwashed.

Back
Top Bottom