Egg wrinkles

Roseynose

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
My hen started laying odd shaped eggs. Is this a sign of illness i should worry about?
20230311_211716.jpg

It happens. Eggs are natural and you get all kinds of weird specs, wrinkles, and spots on them. You just don't see them like that at the store because mass producers remove the unslightly ones. Nothing wrong with it and use it like you normally would.

Some eggs are fairly soft when first coming out. The wrinkling happens when such an egg hits the ground.
This is not true. If it comes out 'soft' it's gonna stay that way.

My hen started laying odd shaped eggs. Is this a sign of illness i should worry about?
That's called a slab sided egg, could be a one off from stress, could be respiratory disease.
Had these from 2 birds all one winter, they both had mild respiratory issues, both symptoms declined(with no treatment) after a couple months.
A long as birds are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.

This is not true. If it comes out 'soft' it's gonna stay that way.

That's called a slab sided egg, could be a one off from stress, could be respiratory disease.
Had these from 2 birds all one winter, they both had mild respiratory issues, both symptoms declined(with no treatment) after a couple months.
A long as birds are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.
Thanks this is good info. Could be stress. We gave away our rooster reciently. the hen that laied this egg is his favorite. I think she is having trouble adjusting without him. I will add some vitamins in the water too just encase.

Back
Top Bottom