Weird Egg

LeMarsh

Hatching
Oct 26, 2023
Hi all - I have 36 hens that all have gradually have started laying (still waiting on 4-5 to start) and have had a good egg production thus far. The past two days we have had a hen (unsure which one) lay a wrinkled odd shaped egg - not soft - its shell almost sounds like porcelain if you tap on it. I do have a hen that was injured 3 weeks ago and not sure if she's laying agin and this is stressed induced? I have read that these types of eggs are due to overcrowding hen boxes and stress? We have 16 hen boxes as well as areas that 3-4 of my girls like to lay (they hate the hen boxes). I do have one hen that refuses to lay anywhere BUT the popular box and she freaks if there is a hen already in it. I have also read this type of egg can be from some sort of respiratory infection? I do not see any signs of this either (I am super diligent about cleaning the coop and using low dust (i use hemp shavings) materials. Any one else have this happen? Just wondering if I should worry?
Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG_8589.JPG
    IMG_8589.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8597.JPG
    IMG_8597.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 4
Could be stress, could be respiratory disease, could just be a new layer glitch.
Not much you can do but remain observant.
Put a fake egg in most or all the nests to help spread the love.

Could be stress, could be respiratory disease, could just be a new layer glitch.
Not much you can do but remain observant.
Put a fake egg in most or all the nests to help spread the love.
Thank you! I will do that and look into the ventilation as well :)

Back
Top Bottom