Egg Yolk Peritonitis -- 20 month old Rhode Island Red.

Oh Lice/Mite update: I looked everybody over again tonight...and I don't see any creepy crawlies. I'm thinking I've gotten them....but maybe I should just check again this weekend --like Saturday or Sunday (day14 of a new hatch if any made it) right before they start mating again...potentially.

Cold day today so everybody was cooped up all day. I had a red heat lamp go off at 2am last night on a timer to help cut the -30F. Boy they were all grumpy and pecking eachother tonight on the roost. I feel so bad for them. Bored stiff I'm sure. Tomorrow it will be above zero at noon and I'll get them out then to stretch their little skinny chicken legs. This weather is soooo old. We're over it!

Thats a beautiful coop, you did a beautiful job. I love the log siding. Giving me ideas. :) You get me laughing. Lol.

Nothing fancy with mine, covered in tar paper. Lol. I continually revamp it all the time. Making more room, redoing the nest boxes. I was making new nest boxes for the eggs to roll and my neighbour yells to me, "home reeker", jokingly because he hears me with the saw and drill all the time. Lol. The girls are always checking out what I am doing. My learning days was building camps as a kid and ripping them apart, and rebuilding them. I don't use plans, just have a vision how i am going to build it. Just how my brains wired. I can do pretty much do anything if I have to.

I hope your bug days are behind you and for the birds. Kathy has mentioned to treat one of the birds and put like a white paper towel under the bird to see if they have bugs. Great idea. Mine keep scratching at times, I can't see any, have been thinking about trying that. I see new pin feathers around their neck coming in, i am hoping thats why their scratching. I did not realize there is a 7 day withdrawal period for eggs from the powder.

Ooo crap I think we saved 3 eggs that were "post powder" The kids just had them for breakfast this morning!
th.gif
I didn't figure it was systemic! I suppose. my daughter did say they had a different taste today too. ugh.

Excellent idea from Kathy and you pwand. about the white paper! we do that with kids too. have them tilt their heads over it and rub their scalps with their fingers/hands over the paper. Just didn't carry that idea over at all with chickens! duh. If your birds have them...they really like that vent area to hang around. fingers crossed that you don't have that mess on your hands...and that its just itchiness from new pin feathers.

Thanks for the compliments pwand. Ooops on the "tar paper." LOL.
hide.gif
I think he actually said blue tarp...but I know lots of BYCers who have that in force and wanted to feel safe. LOL. so much for that!
Once I got started on those first two walls I quit looking at my plans too. It was in my head afterwards what my steps needed to be. I've always thought and then knew after this particular project that I must see my projects visually in my head. I can envision what the steps are. My husband cannot do that. He has no concept how to start and does not visualize his "next moves". It's weird to me. Almost like he's helpless a bit and not willing to visualize...but I think we're all different, I guess.

Oh, and if we get a new TV...its up to me to figure out how the cords all go. DVD player, satellite TV, the stereo system, speaker bars, surround sound. It looks like black nest of chords behind our TV. He looks at it and throws his hands in the air and stomps out the room. I start sorting or googling configurations to get it figured out. LOL.

lau.gif
Home Wrecker...LOL. That's too funny. Those roll away nest boxes would be completely awesome to have wouldn't they?!

Those rolling nest boxes are a great idea if they would all use them. Lol. They want straw. When I first built them, they decided to lay under the trees, i was puzzled no eggs for days. They can get fussy.

I do all the electronic stuff too. When my son needs help, he comes to me. I do all the computer tech stuff as well. I am visual. My husband isn't either. Its how were wired. He's a good cook and a great dad. :)

Thats ok about the tar paper, lol. Gave me a good laugh. Eventually I need to put some siding on. I have no room for extensions anymore.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I updated. But Rosey has been sleeping in a nest box for the last week or so. Not up on the roost usually...although I did put her up there tonight...she's a buffer for my little silkie who gets picked on sometimes. Nobody picks on Rose.

Rose's abdomen is getting larger all the time. All our snow has melted and she can wander outside if she wishes but she choses to stay in the coop and I assume sleep, eat and drink. And, I think, stay away from the Roo. Her bottom looked like it was dropping a bit more today. We've decided not to prolong things with more antibiotics. I will pick the time when it right for both of us. Today the silkie wanted her sleeping spot to lay and egg. It was a bit comical. I opened the nest box and the Silkie was laying and Rose was looking in the box with a "Hurry Up!" stare or glare. Still a bit of a character despite her growing abdomen.

Well it was a sunny cold day today...just a tidge above freezing...but the birds were out free ranging today finding green in the mostly brown grass. Digging in my garden, and some leaves in the woods. And with them today was Rose! I was so pleased she ventured out today. She approached me right away to ask me for something good to eat I imagine or to come to me so the rooster would give her space. I picked her up gently as I could and gave her a boiled egg smashed with a fork. She really enjoyed that and then started to doze a bit on the counter. I thought I'd better get her back outside and started to take her down to the coop. about half way there I thought I'd let her decide what she wanted to do. She turned back up the hill to join her flock and resume her day free ranging. She was out all day! I'm glad she got some quality time with her flock mates today. It was a good day for her. I note slight puffing with the extra fluid ...but she kept up and didn't want to be left behind. Love it.

Hi Amy,

How is Rose doing?

I made a video of Deckie..

It may be helpful to watch the end of it. I loaded some pictures before she died.
I still have a deep regret to make her feel earlier.. but I am not sure if I could....

Best wishes,
Akiko

Hi Akiko: Rose is still with us. She spends a lot of time in the coop while the others free range. She has become pretty squatty...and she has a hard time roosting on the 2 x 4 roost I noted yesterday evening. So I won't be after her if she sleeps in a nest box now. yesterday she did venture out in the afternoon and scratch around in the woods. So I was happy for that bit of freedom she took advantage of. I think also her behavior to stay in the coop is from being harassed by our Rooster. She is a "favorite" of his. So this is why she hangs out there. Also, I am certain that Sunny, our New Hampshire, has the same condition. We've been rainy and cold this spring and I'd like her to have a few more Sunny days this spring. But her comfort level is deteriorating. The kids have asked me to give her a few nice days though. This I will do...since I saw her outside yesterday, enjoying the woods. But it won't be long...
sad.png

Thank you Akiko for checking in. We have another hen setting on some eggs to be hatched and although I am sad for losing our smart Rose and Sunny I know of the good life they've had...and that all life is a circle...and others will fill our hearts much like Rose and now Sunny have.

Thank you for your video, too. I will sit down and watch that.

Oh my Gosh! What a fun remembrance of that special bird! She certainly touched yours and your family's lives. What a nice tribute. You will always have Deckie stories. You are so kind to think of us BYC'ers at the end too, Akiko! oh, my. You were a treasure to that bird too, Akiko.
love.gif

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your update, Amy! I am so glad to hear that Rose seems to be enjoying outside. Rosey better stay outside if she still has energy with her boyfriend? :) That must have been tough for you and your family .... I still feel hurts when I think of Deckie.
I hope Rosey and Sunny will feel better with all my heart.

By the way, your chickens are so luck to have such a nice backyard! I really like yours!

Thank you for your kind word, Amy. I wanted to do something to thank chicken people here, and also wanted to help if I can.
It is tough, you know!!! :(

Keep at it, Amy!
Cheers,
Akiko

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom