Egg Yolk Peritonitis -- 20 month old Rhode Island Red.

Bogtown Chick

Free Ranging
11 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
She's been puffed up on the roost and in the run for two days. She hasn't displayed any nesting activity just up and down to eat with the cold weather and now that it's warmed up she's coming out to the run to eat but only a little bit then puffs up in the corner and dozes while the others scratch for the remaining grains.

Rosie is our favorite and I think I've diagnosed her after looking at the poop chart photos on here. It came down to the one which was either worms or egg yolk peritonitis. I had her up to the house and her keel bone is prominent. No ascites that I can tell. Cloaca exam is negative although it seemed more restrictive...harder to check then other hens I've checked quite easily. One last check....and abodomen check... There is a mass probably the size of a double yolker egg...but irregular in shape.

I think she has the associated infection going on with it. She doesn't have the ascites or bulging of the abodomen...YET...so I think we could still have some time with her if I take care of the infection.

Hubby says no for vet care. I have to half hearted agree on this one. The prognosis is not good unless there is an expensive abdominal surgery and spaying...which with a vet with probably little to no experience would kill her probably anyways. We're going to do comfort measures with this one we've decided and then let her little clock wind down to where we have to take humane measures.

This is tough. As she's really charmed us these few months. We love her so and so has all of our company and guests.

hit.gif
This is the toughest one so far..... Well hopefully we'll get a few more months of smiles... yet.
love.gif

Heres a picture of my girl fashioning her apron bra. Its looking a bit rough after three weeks. Its ugly. I did a rough cut out of fleece, and cut it when on her to finish it to fit and then sewed sides to pull it close to her chest, not so much to touch. Just a quick idea to keep her from pecking.

That bra idea is a great invention. Glad it worked out for Bombie. :)

I know when my hen was sick last year, I wore myself out, just want her to survive. After that knowing more about treatments helped. Its still stressful, i hear what your saying, your right. You do the best you can. This is a great site, so many helpful people and support.

I am pretty much on my own with the chickens for care and there needs. I do all the construction in building and maintaing the coop, i am the builder. My husband will hold thing in place for me as I put things together. He likes them, thats about it. Will hold them if I need to do treatments. Its a balance. My daughter was hugely involved when we got our first four, she was miss mother hen. :) then she moved out later. Its so good for the kids if they are interested. My son doesn't even notice them. :( Were all so different.

Last edited:
LOL. I see that there could be a "treat issue"  although I think their treats are healthy ones...for the most part.  But I could probably get them back to eating more feed than scratch...:D   We do kale/spinach in the winter for greens...so they're not eating gobs of hay or straw out of the run (sour crop prevention)  Apple pieces once or twice a week. Lean meat leftovers--venison mostly.  Free ranging spring, summer, fall --they do a lot less food then and I'm hoping they're making healthy choices there...I'm confident they are.

But yeah...I'll admit I probably have chicken "crack" addicts.  Weaning time.  Interesting video for sure.  I'm a spoiler....Gosh and those foods she was giving looked pretty healthy too....IDK about the soy...but there were some other things that looked okay....LOL  Back to more feed.  I know this...but sometimes us chicken Moms can't help ourselves to see them come runnin'.

:lau

Last edited:
Thanks pwand.  My daughter wanted that picture that evening with Rosie for Shell3.  We were sending her some of the flock that evening. The sun was going down...and that light was just right for my pretty girls.

We have some nice people on these threads that's for sure....
We sure do have nice people on these threads, great supports.

Try not get to worried about the other girls. I know it's hard not to.

She looked real good today. A little puffin' up but the day was nice--above freezing.  2nd day of antibiotic and aspirin.  Guess who was on the highest roost tonight.  LOL  Our Rosey.  Such a gritty little pistol.

Doing some weaning on the "treats" the last two days.  Boy are they ever after me though....pretty insistent they are!  :cool:

Ahh, glad to hear she seems better. :)

Oh you bad Momma, taking away the good stuff. :eek:

Last edited:
Just wanted to post some Poo pictures for Egg Yolk Peritonitis: This may not be the best picture because the towel is white and absorbed the water already. but usually there is quite a lot of watery milky looking urate associated with this.

And then just for fun. This was lunch time today. Brought Rose up for her Penicillin, aspirin laced apple sauce and her scrambled egg. Jasmine waiting for the go ahead to clean up Rose's mess! Some pecking order we got around here, huh?

Rosie still active in the Run today. Out and about with her GF's and Roger, The Big Tootsie.  They've tore apart a bale of straw I think in an effort to find hidden grains to satiate their "Crack" scratch desire.  Industrious little buggers.  Love it.

I think her comb looks a little redder today.  Another good sign we're getting a handle on the infection I'm assuming.  Despite the mass in her abdomen.
How funny, lol, they are smart. Good sign too her being out and about, enjoying and I am sure having fun finding the treats that they feel so deprived from. Mean momma, lol.

Last edited:
How did the dusting go at 18 below. Burrrrrr. I would say you had your work cut out for you today in that freezing weather. Your birds are loving you now, peaceful non scratching night. :)

He does that when he's mad. LOL. He'll pick up something off the ground like he's playing possum...and pretending like he's doing something else and when you least expect it he'll come after you. The kids and I know that move all too well. LOL. But I thought the "last straw" thing sounded funny. Those chickens are funny...the way they do things. I can't tell you how many times we've giggled over something they've done. I'm sure everybody gets a kick out of their chickens though...

She is looking pretty good yet...I have to say. I see her and check her over everyday and can tell on her some of the subtlest of changes. I might also say that's she's been a loner most of her time with us, too. The rooster has always been "partial" to her and she always sought refuge by separation. I see her protecting herself yes...but there is this subtle difference to her that tells me her body is fighting. Thank you for your compliments on Rose's good looks. We think she's pretty too and she is personality plus which only adds to her attractiveness.

Back
Top Bottom