Egg ??????

kmsek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
N Fla
I have a 5 yr old dark pied she has been with the same mate for several years the are confined in a large enclosure she laid aprox 20 eggs last year she laid 2, 2 weeks ago I harvested them and she has laid no more . Her peacock has breed her But no more eggs .my 2.5 yr old laid 2 the dog found ( **** dog ) then laid 6 more and is nesting for aprox 3 weeks hopefully babies by end of month
jumpy.gif
any thoughts??????????????????????????????????????????

I have an opal peahen who laid three eggs, two of which I collected since the third was eaten. That was a while ago. She was doing the walk and scratched out a new nest but nothing from her. But I am thinking she stopped due to the colder weather we had.

It is 70-90 degrees here I wondered if if was her age ?? she is not as receptive to her mate I also wondered if it had to do with the 3 free peas well 2 on is nesting.

My peas are also laying sporadically, i think Frenchy's are also, i think all the strange weather changes have them messed up i know it has messed up some of my flowers, they are real late coming back after the freezes and late cold snaps, like we had a week ago, got down into the 40's, i thought most were dead till i checked the roots.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on your peafowl aviary I see that it is made of chicken wire. Chicken wire can rust quickly and might need to be replaced a lot. I know of a breeder who is always working on his chicken wire pen roofs replacing them. You might want to put galvanized welded wire fencing over it just incase.

Our's are laying very irregularly as well. And at 5 years your hen is just getting started, I have a cameo bs hen who is 18 or 19 and she laid 2 clutches last year we incubated the first and she sat on and hatched the second bunch. Great mom and lovely babies even at her advanced age.

Keep an eye on your peafowl aviary I see that it is made of chicken wire. Chicken wire can rust quickly and might need to be replaced a lot. I know of a breeder who is always working on his chicken wire pen roofs replacing them. You might want to put galvanized welded wire fencing over it just incase.

I will look into that eventually they will be free ranged with the rest and I will use aviary for raising incubated babies .

Back
Top Bottom