Eggbound with Prolapse

angelbabyamy

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Myrtle Point, OR
Hi everyone,

Today I noticed a 7 month Splash Marans with a prolapse. I cleaned her in some warm water and noticed that there was an egg in her prolapse. It wasn't very big, I would say a medium sized egg, and I had to maneuver it and gently stretch to get it out. The poor hen kept straining while I was helping her.

I have no Preparation H, I will have to get some tomorrow. I researched here a bit and used honey when I pushed it back in and put a lot on the outside of her vent. The only antibiotic I have is Teramycin and I put some in her water. I haven't given her food yet.
I'm worried about infection and she did have some bloody discharge.

Any advice would be helpful. I have her in a tote in the house.
Thanks!

How is your hen?? You should repost this in the Emergencies/Diseases section. You might get a better response there. I wish I could help you but I haven't had this happen with my chickens. Good luck. I hope she is ok.

Thanks, I did post it to the other forum. Still prolapsing. I cut back her food, etc and she has laid 5 eggs this week. I clean her, put antibacterial ointment and honey on her and gently push it back. A lot of times, she will strain and push it back out. Giving her Duramycin and Rooster Booster in her water. She had a huge scab on one side that just came off yesterday, Has blood on her eggs. I hope she will heal, but am not sure if it will. She is the sweetest, mellowest chicken.

I had a hen with a prolapse and I had to put it back in three times gently..... additionally I used sugar..... plain white sugar on her prolapse and the swelling subsided within a day and she had no more problems. I would expect her to be sore after being egg-bound but keep an eye on her. I also separated my prolapsed hen from the rest of the flock because hens will peck at red and they WILL often peck at the prolapse resulting in bleeding, infection, and sores. Good luck.

It's been 10 days and I am still cleaning, applying antibacterial medicine and honey. The scabs have fallen off and it does not seem to be as bad. She has laid 6 eggs, and it keeps prolapsing with poops as well. She is in the house in a tote, I clean it out 2-3 times a day. She is getting antibiotics in her water and Rooster Booster. I hope she will improve. Anybody know if it will since it has been so long?

Back
Top Bottom