Eggs and more Q & A

crandal

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2016
Southern Utah, apple valley
Ok all you BYC enthusiasts, time for a little debate / informational discussion. Use this thread for all your egg Q & A. I'll start.

To wash or not to wash,. That is the question. Now,. I'm new to the raising poultry community but I am learning fast. Lots of articles and discussions and like everything else in life THERE IS CONTROVERSY!!! So,. Instead of articles let's bring it to real live people and get real time answers

Now, one article says collect eggs daily wash under cold water to get clean and by doing so you remove the protective layer so immediately put into fridge so bacteria doesn't enter egg.

Another article states, DO NOT WASH EGGS!!! in doing so the water actually forces some bacteria from on the shell into the egg and rather than wash just make sure you clean nest daily so eggs come out clean and collect daily and if need be, Scrub witha dry abrasive pad and put right in fridge but actually they can sit at room temp for a while since you didn't wash off protective layer so egg can breathe but still best to put right in fridge.

Ok all give it to me,. I want opinions,. Answers,. Side bar questions,. Thoughts,. How have you, the more experienced BYC'er been doing it and what advice could you give to the less experienced BYC'er here still trying to figure it all out.

And please,. Newbies/oldbies feel free to use this thread for any and all egg related questions for all to get the answers they may seek. Thank you all and 3.2.1. go!!!

Last edited:
I collect my eggs and if they are filthy [duck usually] I wash and store in the frig, if they are clean I still store in the frig but don't wash till I use them if there is dirt on them.Chicken, duck and goose

Hey no one has dirty duck eggs but me? and mine gets clean out shavings daily and some of their eggs still get pretty nasty.
hmm.png
{I think they do it on purpose}

I collect my eggs and if they are filthy [duck usually] I wash and store in the frig, if they are clean I still store in the frig but don't wash till I use them if there is dirt on them.Chicken, duck and goose

Hey no one has dirty duck eggs but me? and mine gets clean out shavings daily and  some of their eggs still get pretty nasty.  :/ {I think they do it on purpose}

:hugs

Nope, we all get 'em, lol... but mine usually end up in the bator! :gig

If just dirt, I only ever wash right before I use them... more than dirt, like the ones the ducks play hockey and soccer with in their pen, I feed back to the chickens... our ducks don't care for the eggs, just want the shells... :confused:

hugs.gif

Nope, we all get 'em, lol... but mine usually end up in the bator!
gig.gif

If just dirt, I only ever wash right before I use them... more than dirt, like the ones the ducks play hockey and soccer with in their pen, I feed back to the chickens... our ducks don't care for the eggs, just want the shells...
hu.gif
hugs.gif
back at ya!!

lol.png
Yep the ole into the bator routine. sometimes when I find one that is so poopy I don't even want to bring it inside I play try and hit the tree over the fence game.

Hey no one has dirty duck eggs but me? and mine gets clean out shavings daily and  some of their eggs still get pretty nasty.  :/ {I think they do it on purpose}

Wow I completely agree. Doesn't matter how hard I try it's like they take them outside find the closest mud puddle and play matchbox monster truck rally with the dam things before putting them in nest lol

I rinse/wash mine with luke warm water and a gentle rag just to get the poop and dirt off (trying to leave the bloom). I also refrigerate them, mainly because I have teeny counters. I do share many and they are more appealing this way. Although, I do educate those I give eggs to, to get in the habit of washing eggs before use, just as one would with any other fresh produce. Seeing that salmonella primarily resides on the shell, it is just a matter of trying to bring food quality control back into the hands of the consumer.

I store mine on the counter unwashed. Before I use them I use a soft brush to clean them off. If they are really dirty when collected I clean them and put them in the fridge.

I store mine on the counter unwashed. Before I use them I use a soft brush to clean them off. If they are really dirty when collected I clean them and put them in the fridge.

Wait,. You just collect them from the coop and store on counter? For how long are they good to keep at room temp on counter? Also does keeping them at room temp help with the yolk thickness. My duck eggs seem to have really thick yolks that don't break apart and mix easily when I make scrambled eggs?

I keep my eggs unrefrigerated and unwashed... but I also don't sell my eggs for eating... we use them, and family, friends and neighbors as well that are comfortable with them stored that way...

Most that sell eggs wash and refrigerate as that's what is usually required by the FDA... but the US is one of only 2 countries that does refrigerate eggs, most of Europe/UK stores keep eggs on the shelf in the baking aisle, I believe...

Room temp unwashed eggs are good for about a month... refrigerated unwashed eggs can store up to approx 6 months...

If you wash eggs, they must be refrigerated immediately... once refrigerated, you must keep them that way as letting them warm up again can cause them to sweat and introduce bacteria into the egg...

Also, when washing, you want to use slightly warmer water than the temp of the egg, not cold water... cold water makes the egg inside contract and pulls bacteria in while warmer water causes it to expand and keep it out...

You will get many different answers for sure... but it all comes down to what YOU feel comfortable with doing...

No matter what, I always recommend cracking eggs into a separate container and if it looks, smells or seems questionable to you then don't use it... :)

Last edited:
I keep my eggs unrefrigerated and unwashed... but I also don't sell my eggs for eating... we use them, and family, friends and neighbors as well that are comfortable with them stored that way...

Most that sell eggs wash and refrigerate as that's what is usually required by the FDA... but the US is one of only 2 countries that does refrigerate eggs, most of Europe/UK stores keep eggs on the shelf in the baking aisle, I believe...

Room temp unwashed eggs are good for about a month... refrigerated unwashed eggs can store up to approx 6 months...

If you wash eggs, they must be refrigerated immediately... once refrigerated, you must keep them that way as letting them warm up again can cause them to sweat and introduce bacteria into the egg...

Also, when washing, you want to use slightly warmer water than the temp of the egg, not cold water... cold water makes the egg inside contract and pulls bacteria in while warmer water causes it to expand and keep it out...

You will get many different answers for sure... but it all comes down to what YOU feel comfortable with doing...

No matter what, I always recommend cracking eggs into a separate container and if it looks, smells or seems questionable to you then don't use it... :)

Wow def learning a lot here thanks,. I've only ever bought eggs from the store boy was I sadly misinformed growing up but thank you for the info. I'm comfortable with doing anything so long as I don't get sick lol. Anyone else care to chime in.

Back
Top Bottom