Eggs and more Q & A

Wait,. You just collect them from the coop and store on counter? For how long are they good to keep at room temp on counter? Also does keeping them at room temp help with the yolk thickness. My duck eggs seem to have really thick yolks that don't break apart and mix easily when I make scrambled eggs?

Yep, I just leave them on the counter. I think the longest I had them was a few weeks as they usually get used quickly. I wouldn't keep it more than a month. If I have some questionable ones I just float test them. As an egg sits the air sack slowly expands. If it's gotten big enough the egg will float. I toss any egg that floats enough to not be touching the bottom of the bowl. There are so many no sense in eating a questionable one. I also crack them in a seperate bowl first to make sure they are good.

The toughness of the yolk is partly because of it being duck and partly because it is fresh. That toughness breaks down as it ages. I think most folks, myself included, are surprised at how different a fresh egg is compared to store bought. It makes sense once you think about though. Especially since store bought eggs can be 60 days old by the time the customer buys it.

The scope of my response is just personal use eggs; as has already been mentioned, eggs being offered for sale are subject to numerous, state-specific requirements.

I believe in the protective power of the bloom and in keeping my immune system, particularly gut flora, healthy. Despite having eaten many eggs with poopy and/or muddy shells, I have never been sickened by my own flock's eggs. I collect once or twice a day (depending on the temperature outside), eggs are unwashed and kept at room temperature. If the temperature inside is too warm, like in the summer, I'll store the eggs in the basement. Refrigerating eggs will extend their "shelf life", but I don't have need - or the inclination - to eat eggs that are more than a few weeks old, at the oldest.

In case this wasn't one you've already read, I thought this article was interesting: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt.

I wash all my DUCK eggs... Chicken eggs I don't unless I am selling them
big_smile.png

Wait,. You just collect them from the coop and store on counter? For how long are they good to keep at room temp on counter? Also does keeping them at room temp help with the yolk thickness. My duck eggs seem to have really thick yolks that don't break apart and mix easily when I make scrambled eggs?
In my limited experience, the yolk thickness is really dependent on the freshness. We use raw eggs in our homemade ice-cream and we have to use eggs at least a week old or older. Otherwise the fresher eggs hold together more and make yellow streaks.

Back
Top Bottom