Eggs hatching at different times- how should I do the turning?

cheesechee

Chirping
May 20, 2021
I was given 23 chicken eggs and 1 turkey egg to hatch for someone. Once the chicken eggs start to hatch how should I turn the turkey egg? For now I'm just thinking of speedily opening up the incubator to turn the turkey egg, but I'm still a little worried. I have the little giant incubator and egg turner.

Turning is more important during the first three weeks than the last, so I'd say once you have pips started, just stop turning the turkey egg. It shouldn't hurt anything. Also the hatching chicks will knock it around anyway, so they'll 'turn' it for you.

The other way to handle it would be to get or make a second incubator to use as a hatcher. Move the eggs into that one as they are ready to go into lockdown, and keep eggs that aren't ready yet in the main incubator.

I was given 23 chicken eggs and 1 turkey egg to hatch for someone. Once the chicken eggs start to hatch how should I turn the turkey egg? For now I'm just thinking of speedily opening up the incubator to turn the turkey egg, but I'm still a little worried. I have the little giant incubator and egg turner.
The hatching chicks will help to turn the turkey as they tend to knock eggs around :)

You could put the turkey egg in a little box or small food storage container. Than you can turn it by itself and not worry about its safety when the others hatch. You only need to worry about opening the incubator once the chicks have pipped. So you may get away with a couple days of not turning without any problems.
Also, a bit of suggestion for next time if you set the chicken eggs a week later they will all hatch within a couple days of each other.

You could put the turkey egg in a little box or small food storage container. Than you can turn it by itself and not worry about its safety when the others hatch. You only need to worry about opening the incubator once the chicks have pipped. So you may get away with a couple days of not turning without any problems.
Also, a bit of suggestion for next time if you set the chicken eggs a week later they will all hatch within a couple days of each other.
Yeah I usually would've but when the person gave me the eggs they were already around a week old :/ They're all beginning to hatch now and I think it's going well

Back
Top Bottom