Eggs in the incubator..now what? :)

janetlynn

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2015
Hi! My name is Janet. I am new to backyard chickens.
I jumped in the deep end lol. I did some research, bought an incubator and have 13 Wyndottes in it. I had a Tolbunt Polish that passed away a year and a half ago : ( and didn't want my Blue Copper Maran to be lonely at the time so she went to another flock where she was happy and accepted. I have never started with an egg so this time its all new. Any advise or ideas on raising chicks let me know. I am open to chicken raising veterans wisdom.

What kind of incubator? What's your humidity? Temp? What day did you start?

There's a post in the forum - Hatching 101 by Sally Sunshine - must read.
I will read that. thanx. 65% humitity 38% C. I put them in on the 10th. Magicfly automatic incubator. It had 4,000 reviews 4 1/2 star rating.

Watch your air sacs and adjust your humidity if they are not developing. 65% might be high for the first 18 days.

Second, what breed are you hatching, and where did you get them (shipped, local, other...)?
12 Wyandottes- red/blue lace splash..who knows what I'll get. They were shipped to me in California from Ohio. 3 day shipping. I left them sit for 12 hours the note said. The incubator slowly turns them. They seem to always be on their side. I read pointy side down but they don't seem to stay that way in the incubator. So turn the humidity down to what do you think would be best? I do have 6 Blue Partridge Brahma egg's coming as well those from Florida. What do you think about heating pads vs lamp when they hatch? Tolbunt Polish and Silver Laced Polish are the last 2 on my list. Hoping I have a good hatch and healthy chicks.

Last edited:
It a Janoel 12. It says 55 to 75 for incubation. Lol, 60 seems like a good middle setting I guess and hope I get the happy hatching chicks.

Back
Top Bottom