Eggs in Winter?

ra

Songster
11 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Arkansas
I have a couple quail I got a cage to keep them in the garage for the winter on lights hopeing to get some eggs. The thing is that they are now 3.5 months old and no eggs? It is very cold here? Do they also need heat?Here are pictures, are they not ladies? One has started this new call in the morning, sounds like Lightning Mc Queen in the Cars movie when he says "Ca chow"!
Just want some eatin eggs?
fl.gif

Any advice would be great!
hugs.gif

21380_img_4429.jpg

21380_img_4431.jpg

Last edited:
For no eggs, check:

1.)High protein food
2.)At least 14 hours light (not necessarily heat, but white light)
3.)You have females

You do have females, the two pictured are females, but the calling one is a male. (Ca chow, didn't think of that before!
smile.png
)

Hope this helps!

Are these the only 2 you have? They do both look like females, but the sound you describe is the male's crow. They do need at least 12 hours of light, though 14-16 hours is better. And they also need a little heat. If it's very cold there that might be your problem.

"but the calling one is a male. (Ca chow, didn't think of that before! )"

DITTO, ITS A PRETTY CATCHY WAY TO DESCRIBE A COTURNIX ROO'S CROW

Those are the only ones? I do have a pair of buttons next door to them. So one is a little man?We have been keeping the light on from 7:30am-8:00pm?

Well, first off...Those are 2 fine looking brown coturnix hens you have there!

Next, as long as your garage is between 33 and 99 deg. F., then temp is not really a problem. Coturnix lay like banshees in a temp. range between 40 and 60 deg. F..
Light...well I do recommend 14+ hours of artificial light if raised indoors, but any amount of natural sunlight trumps artificial light. It's ok to provide low intensity full spectrum white light 24/7 ( a 4.5 watt night light).

I guess this is #3, but a good diet is always a plus. Short of that, a SAME diet is best. Don't throw everything but the kitchen sink at them. Just give the the sameness they love. What ever you are feeding them, keep it up. They shutter at the sight of a Japanese bar, when someone is just cooking up and throwing flaming eatable things their way. Same feed, clean water, a dust pan...Just fine! Perpetual sameness.
#4, Don't handle them to much. I'm not sure if you do this, but over handling coturnix can cause that egg to slip past the egg shell and paint department and become a shell less egg. Forever lost between the wire, or in the litter.

I can't resist the bean counter in me. When your 2 girls start laying, you will get (ABOUT) 2 eggs a day. It will take them about 7 days at 99.5% production to net you a 2 (Large chicken) egg omelet. It will be the tastiest omelet you have ever eaten.
big_smile.png

I'm thinking you need some more hens too. 4 solved my hen egg addiction, so 3-5 per person can keep one from running to the store for eggs. Just my best guess.

Back
Top Bottom