Eggs in Winter?

It does not matter that the coturnix & button quail can see each other or not. What matters is that the button quail CANNOT tolerate cold. A member here recently lost all of their button quail from this.

Button quail are from a warm climate. They will die if they get cold.

My button quail & coturnix are all in the same area. They see each other & listen to each other. Doesn't make a bit of difference to anything.

I mentioned earlier that they have been brought inside! They are happy and lying together as I write!

Quote:
OK, I just saw that they were in the garage. I never saw a post where you said you'd brought them in. (Or, maybe your garage is warm! Mine isn't. Brrrr.) I probably just missed one of your posts.

My garage is sitting at 48 degrees right now. That's with a heat vent open & a space heater on. Brrrrrr.

They seemed happy in there I have a big brooder in there with chicks and it actually helps keep it warm unless I open the big door. I like to hear them anyway and it is neat to see them care for each other!

My garage is insulated and with the heat lamps going it is warmer than my house.
roll.png

Quote:
OK, I just saw that they were in the garage. I never saw a post where you said you'd brought them in. (Or, maybe your garage is warm! Mine isn't. Brrrr.) I probably just missed one of your posts.

My garage is sitting at 48 degrees right now. That's with a heat vent open & a space heater on. Brrrrrr.

That's way to chilly to me as well, but for a fully feathered coturnix adult...It's room temperature, and egg laying heaven. Turn off the IR heat lamps and get you 4 watt nightlight. Feed them good feed. Give them 14+ hours of full spectrum white light in their 24 hour period. Put on a set of safety glasses, because they should be putting your eyes out shooting eggs in your face!

Coturnix are not buttons! 48 deg. is nothing to an adult coturnix. I fear that people confuse coturnix with buttons, and also confuse coturnix chicks with polar bears and adult coturnix. It takes a lot of heat to raise coturnix from day old chick to 7+ week old young adult, but once they cross that threshold, then fretting about temp ranges between 30 and 75 are moot! They can handle it!

Quote:

That's way to chilly to me as well, but for a fully feathered coturnix adult...It's room temperature, and egg laying heaven. Turn off the IR heat lamps and get you 4 watt nightlight. Feed them good feed. Give them 14+ hours of full spectrum white light in their 24 hour period. Put on a set of safety glasses, because they should be putting your eyes out shooting eggs in your face!

Coturnix are not buttons! 48 deg. is nothing to an adult coturnix. I fear that people confuse coturnix with buttons, and also confuse coturnix chicks with polar bears and adult coturnix. It takes a lot of heat to raise coturnix from day old chick to 7+ week old young adult, but once they cross that threshold, then fretting about temp ranges between 30 and 75 are moot! They can handle it!

Yeah, I know the coturnix are fine in it. My girls are still out there, with Christmas lights. I can't let it get too cold out there - pipes will freeze.

Buttons, on the other hand, are all in the house in the toasty warm 70 degree basement.
smile.png

I'm worried about Ra's buttons, unless he has a fully heated garage, unlike mine.

Quote:
Check their food ingredients to see how much protein it has. If it says 18% protein or more, it's enough for them to start laying. 18% is already pushing down, less than that if they lay will be bad for their health.

Back
Top Bottom