Eggs Not Hatching

HatchHatch

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
Hello Guys, I am bit confused about one my eggs this year. One of my eggs started moving and being noisy about 3-4 days ago, however, there has been no cracks yet. 2 babies that starting moving much later have already hatched. I still hear that egg chirping now but very lightly. Is this normal? If not, should I help the baby hatch?

Quote: 36-38% RH is the range I maintain in my Dickey cabinet (then for lock-down they go into my GQF cabinet hatcher with around 78-80% RH).

My experience with hatching large eggs like Pea and Turkey eggs (that are laid by my own Hens here, in my very dry climate) is that with the incubation RH being any higher my chicks and poults grew too big inside the egg and had a harder time hatching... they seemed to get themselves malpositioned, pipped at the wrong end, or quit during lockdown more often. (The lower RH also works well for my Quail, Guinea and Silkie/Showgirl eggs).

I don't think it is going to hatch, if it doesn't have any cracks. You can help it out if you want it to hatch at all. Some people don't help theirs out because it is hard or the chicks may die or it may be maimed and they don't want it to hatch at all. All of the eggs that I have helped out have lived just fine, although my aunt helped one out and it had a twisted beak. It turned out really small when it was an adult and we thought that she layed an egg and the strain killed her. The choice is yours.

I've had to help several this year, but I'm not comfortable telling you that you should do the same. What do your gut instincts tell you?

-Kathy

When it comes to helping practice makes better cause it is never perfect. If you don't try you will not get the experience to do it right.

I also suggest that you talk to locals about hatching, as Kathy as stated here she used a different humidity level than most people in the US. I have talked to people in my area and they use 35% until hatch time. That is much different than the recommended levels you read about in the manuals.

When it comes to helping practice makes better cause it is never perfect. If you don't try you will not get the experience to do it right.

I also suggest that you talk to locals about hatching, as Kathy as stated here she used a different humidity level than most people in the US. I have talked to people in my area and they use 35% until hatch time. That is much different than the recommended levels you read about in the manuals.
I think @PeepsCA also uses a lower humidity until hatch.

-Kathy

I always do 60% and I hatched 15 out of 24 eggs. I read about the humidity in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.

Back
Top Bottom