Eggs - post laying

Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn

Songster
16 Years
Mar 26, 2008
East Central FL
I'm a total newbie, but I'm learning fast by doing a lot of reading here. I have one question that I haven't seen come up recently.

After you start getting some eggs (I'll be there in 5 mo), do you wash them before putting them in the frig? What do you wash them with? Do you even bother to refrigerate at first? Y'all, don't laugh. Seriously, I'm a city girl who loves the country life.

I'm looking for any wisdom given on that window/ time frame from when it hits the nest to the time you eat it.

From what I have been told they will last longer if you don't wash them. They will last 2 months in the fridge. If there is poo on them just take a damp wash cloth and rub that spot. I collect mine twice a day and put them in an egg carton and put them in the fridge.

Now when I give them to my friends and neighbors I do wash them in soapy water.

I am also a newbie so don't take my word on it. Hopefully some of the other wonderful people here could be more helpful.

Bren1222 has good advice.
smile.png

There is a film on the eggs that helps keep them fresh, and you want to avoid washing that off. If you keep the nest clean and collect often, you'll get very few soiled eggs.

People leave their eggs out only if they have never been refrigerated, once you put them in the fridge, leave them there.

If you leave the eggs out, they are completely safe, and some books I have read say that they will even last longer stored this way. Personally I feel better when eggs over 1 week old get refridgerated, but that is for my own heebee geebees.

I never refrigerate my eggs and have left them out for 3 weeks, if they last that long. When I get too many and they start approaching the 3 week mark, I wash them (just in warm water) and give them away. I've found most people automatically put them in the fridge which is why I wash them first. If I don't give them away, then we hardboil them, peel them, and put them in with pickled beet juice. They keep quite a while that way and make a wonderful snack!

It has been proven over years that cold storage makes eggs last longer. SO , I would recommend you keep them in the fridge until use. For eggs you will use within a few days, it doesn't make a difference. But if they will hang around for awhile, keep them cold.

The egg has a coating called the "bloom". It is part of the egg formation process within the hens body. The bloom protects against bacterial infection, primarily and helps to minimise moisture loss from the egg.
You don't really need to wash them off, as the bloom will do a good job of protecting the egg.
If there is poo or a bit of dirt on the eggs, just dab it off gently with a damp washrag.

Much ado is made of the bloom, and there are always two camps on the issue: the "Dont Wash" folks and the "Doesn't Matter" crowd. For the most part, they're both right. For eggs you are going to keep until you use them, wash them if you want. Then just pop them into the fridge and theyll be fine.

If you decide to put in the fridge, you should let them stand out an hour or two before baking with them. You will get much better results. They will "leaven" & "fluff" better. JMO

I used to be a Good Eats with Alton Brown fanatic (back when I had cable & had Food Network) and he was talking about the secret to a perfect souffle was to have them @ room temp & he stated that you never see that in the recipe due to the fact that the French chefs never put eggs in the fridge (they also use the freshest ingredients).

I never wash my eggs, even if I sell them. I just wipe off any poopy, if there is any. DH sells poopy eggs all the time, he doesn't even look at them. He has a very commited following, too!

Bringing the French or Chinese into this is good for illustration, as they are "fresh foodies" - food is fresh in their culture.
I lived in France, briefly, in the 80's and I doubt I ate many eggs that were more than a week old.
They were purchased at a local street market twice a week and were from local farms. This was in Paris.
As long as eggs are held in a fairly cool-to-room temp atmosphere, they are fine for that long.

If they are to be held for any real time, say weeks or more, I strongly urge you to refrigerate them.

Back
Top Bottom