Eggs taste good, but just a little "gamy"

YellowChicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
This is what I got from some visiting kinfolks. These were eggs from my RIR pullet that has been laying for about 3 weeks. Personally I don't taste any gamy flavor,, they are a little richer and a bit more orange-yolked than store eggs;. I am only feeding 16% layer feed from Orscelins. ??

Gamy or gamey refers to a taste associated with wild game like deer, rabbit, squirrel, etc.

"My eggs taste like squirrel!" Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Maybe they just weren't used to fresh eggs?
hu.gif

Last edited:
Seems like a weird description for eggs! I'm just now raising my first batch and they should start laying soon. I hear they taste better than store bought. Guess I'll find out soon! I doubt you're doing anything wrong with feeding. It's probably just a mental thing.

The difference is that they actually have a taste. Unlike the ones we get from the store, our eggs actually taste like . . . EGGS!
smile.png

People that have never eaten a fresh egg will probably see a difference in flavor. I can tell the difference but I wouldn't call it "gamy". I call it WONDERFUL!

Well, I can't tell a lot of difference from the store eggs. They are a little richer and a little darker yellow. I don't taste any gamey flavor at all. I think it is likely psychological as one poster suggested. Is there anything one can feed to improve flavor?

Back
Top Bottom