Many Questions about eggs

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
My first of 5 has started laying this week. A (about) 20 week old Rhode Island Red. So far she's a rockstar and has laid an egg pretty much every day since. They're small, which of course I expect this early, with very strong shells. I am, however surprised by the yolk color. I thought it would be more orange? theyre yellowish yolks just like store bought. They definitely taste better but I thought rich orange yolks was what you get from fresh eggs. Is this an age thing? or are my expectations incorrect?

Another question I have - Do people wash their eggs prior to cooking? I have been keeping them on the counter and then rinsing/rubbing them right before I cook them. Is this even necessary if they're clean looking? Its just one pullet right now laying and I am very vigilant about keeping the nesting boxes clean, so the eggs look very clean when I bring them inside. I see all these "enzyme" cleaners online and don't know if this is just marketing or something that people do.

and last question- should I save the shells and feed them back to the girls? They already get oyster shells and I will be switching to layer feed as soon as I run out of grower. Most days they get leftover scrambled eggs (store bought for now) from my kids never finishing their breakfast. I read that some people crush and mix the shells in scrambled eggs and feed it back. Is this really beneficial or should I just compost the shells?

1. Eggs will last longer in your fridge. And I wash mine before eating them. They are ok on the countertop unwashed, but last longer chilled.
2 yolk color is influenced by diet. You can add marigold to their feed but it's more cosmetic.
3. I compost my shells, but you can definitely break them up and feed them. Just make sure to crush them.

Last edited:
Layer feed isn't the best feed. It's formulated for high Production breeds/layer hybrids(Leghorns, Isa Browns, Golden Comets, etc..)

Better to stay with chick feed, a Flock Raiser, or an All Flock feed with oyster shells set aside.

Unwashed eggs are fine on the counter. If washed they'd need to be refrigerated.

Want rich eggs, enhance their diet. Include bugs, or free range them occasionally.

Dark yolks are a sign of vitamin A which is turned into beta carotene. You could dye them or just give treats high in vitamin A. But, not all birds translate that to dark yolks. Mine don't lay orange yolks either.
I don't give my chickens scrambled eggs since I try to limit the fat in their diet, I just bake the shells, put them in a sack and crush them. They will need more than egg shells though.

1. Eggs will last longer in your fridge. And I wash mine before eating them. They are ok on the countertop unwashed, but last longer chilled.
2 yolk color is influenced by diet. You can add marigold to their feed but it's more cosmetic.
3. I compost my shells, but you can definitely break them up and feed them. Just make sure to crush them.
how do you wash your eggs prior to eating?

My first of 5 has started laying this week. A (about) 20 week old Rhode Island Red. So far she's a rockstar and has laid an egg pretty much every day since. They're small, which of course I expect this early, with very strong shells. I am, however surprised by the yolk color. I thought it would be more orange? theyre yellowish yolks just like store bought. They definitely taste better but I thought rich orange yolks was what you get from fresh eggs. Is this an age thing? or are my expectations incorrect?

Another question I have - Do people wash their eggs prior to cooking? I have been keeping them on the counter and then rinsing/rubbing them right before I cook them. Is this even necessary if they're clean looking? Its just one pullet right now laying and I am very vigilant about keeping the nesting boxes clean, so the eggs look very clean when I bring them inside. I see all these "enzyme" cleaners online and don't know if this is just marketing or something that people do.

and last question- should I save the shells and feed them back to the girls? They already get oyster shells and I will be switching to layer feed as soon as I run out of grower. Most days they get leftover scrambled eggs (store bought for now) from my kids never finishing their breakfast. I read that some people crush and mix the shells in scrambled eggs and feed it back. Is this really beneficial or should I just compost the shells?
Okay, so.

1. Orange (deep orange) means outdoor raised, diet on grass, seeds, etc but its really just due to them eating lots of grass if i remember correctly
Light orange is mixed grain and grass fed access to sunlight
bright yellow is store bought confined indoors with no sunlight
Basically, maybe your chickens just stay indoors a bit more so eat less grass and stuff, thats what was true for mine. My free ranging girls who are constantly free ranging have a deep, dark, orange. While my others is a orangish yellow. Not bright yellow though.

Feed them to your chickens sure, or add to compost, plants, or whatever else. Its great for soil but great calcium. It is beneficial, yes. Its up to you. Mine like the shells more so i usually give it to them.

I keep mine on the counter and “wash” with water and a paper towel when I use them. Once you wash them they need to be used or refrigerated.
I feed Flock Raiser crumbles with oyster shell on the side, higher in protein.
The yolks will be oranger in free range birds but I honestly don’t taste a difference

1. Yolk color is affected by diet. You can "dye" them with marigold, foods high in beta carotene, etc. but it doesn't change how they taste or anything. Personally I find super orange yolks to be a bit offputting...

2. You don't need to wash clean looking eggs at all if you don't want. Since you're keeping them on the counter, washing before using as you're currently doing is safe. Do not wash in advance and leave on the counter as that removes the layer of bloom that keeps bacteria out of the shell. I refrigerate my eggs unwashed, and only wash ones that are noticeably soiled or just before soft/hard boiling (because I don;t want bits of bedding floating around the pot).

3. You can save shells and feed back to the flock in addition to oyster shell (or in lieu of, only if using layer feed) if you want. Some birds take to eggshell more readily than oyster shell. Do NOT mix it into the scrambled eggs or other feed/treats, they need to be able to regulate intake themselves.

Back
Top Bottom