eggs, what is important to you?

BlackBart

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Lately there has been allot of talk about the darkest egg your chickens will lay.

Some people think that consumers will buy super dark eggs over lighter colored ones and will ask high prices for a dozen of dark eggs.
I've heard people at Farmer's Markets look at a dozen of very dark eggs, make comments and then think twice about at the price, usually significantly higher than the price of a dozen of "rainbow" eggs.

I think consumers will buy the tastiest eggs with color being a bonus. No point in eating eggs if they don't taste good.

Just curious, what do other people think is important?

amount of eggs laid?
color of eggs?
flavor of eggs?
are super dark brown eggs a fad?
does the consumer think the outside of a egg reflects the inside of the egg?
what are other people's thoughts?

I have not a clue what is importanttot others or consumers since I have not really sold any eating eggs just yet. But, for myself the flavor ( free range is BEST ) is my main concern. I also prefer banty eggs over standard eggs because it seems like there is less egg white when they are cooked. Yolks are same size. This is out of my own birds though so I don't know if that holds true over all. Since I prefer the yolk and don't care much for the whites bantam eggs go on MY plate in the morning when I'm cooking, lol. I don't care about the color of the egg shells when I am eating them. I think the super dark eggs are a fad ATM. When people think of farm eggs they think of nice big dark brown eggs - I think this is where some of that "myth" surrounding dark eggs and them being "better" comes from. Truth be told it's all in how the bird lives and is cared for - not about shell color. But, people will have their beliefs whether there is anything to them or not.

Mostly, if I am buying eggs to eat, they should not be dirty at all. I would prefer if the eggs came from free ranging chickens. As for hatching eggs, I want them all about the same size. No big, no small, no damage and darn it, I want them to hatch.

I'm amazed at what people seem to think about shell color. Most seem to think that brown eggs are healthier (so dark brown eggs would be even HEALTHIER?). Also, when I explained to a coworker that commercial eggs receive a chlorine wash, she asked "So, is that why they're white?". Sheesh.
th.gif

Flavor and freshness matter most to ME. Same goes for the people that buy my eggs. I like to keep the smaller ones for myself, too! I like the little eggs boiled.

I don't care what my eggs look like or their size so long as they taste fine and hatch cute chicks. The people who go looking for farm fresh eggs seem to want uncommon colors and the larger the better. A few do prefer eggs that meet the standard sizes of store bought in order to cook with them but most like big eggs. Dark brown, blue, green, slightly pink to off white doesn't matter so long as they aren't the common plain white or light brown of store bought eggs. Not that anyone turns down common colored eggs they just all ask for the less common ones.

So far the people that buy from me are just happy to have fresh eggs from well-cared for hens.. doesn't matter to them that all mine lay brown eggs or what shade of brown they have. I live in a rural area and most of my customers are older folks who grew up on farms and know the value of "real" eggs. I myself love the diversity of opening a box of eggs and seeing the beautiful varied results of what my girls have done.

Until my girls recently started laying we were buying eggs from local people. Taste of the eggs and the diet fed to the hens were most important to me (still are!). I prefer knowing the eggs are from hens fed an organic diet and free-ranged as much as possible. Color and size are secondary. I also don't like to find them disgustingly dirty, though a bit of dirt doesn't bother me because that way I know they haven't been washed with water.

I do like having different colors cause they look pretty, but it's not that important. I car more about the color of the yolk than the shell. When I make a keylime pie with fresh eggs, it really shows up the pale (or green) store bought versions.

Back
Top Bottom