Electric fence- is this adequate?

brewchick1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 27, 2014
Columbia,SC
My husband has been working to secure our chickens. I still think we need another mid-level row of wire as well as wire on the top. My husband thinks it's perfectly adequate as is. We figured there is only one real way to know who is right...and that's by asking ya'll. Our main threats would be cats, fox, opossum, dogs, hawks, racoons. Thanks for any advice you may have to offer.

Is that just strands of electric fencing? I am not sure that would really be very secure. The area that would concern me the most is by your nest box, the electric fencing comes away from the coop far enough to allow a creature to go over the bottom strand and under the top strand and be right under your nest box. From there they could start digging under your fencing. If I was going to use electric fencing I would go with full netting such as premier fencing sells. JMHO.

Yes. Those are just "strands". I see what you are saying about the nest box area. I will look into that areaas well as "netting"

I would say the 3 strands you have there should be plenty, your roof will keep the hawks at bay and your lower 2 stands will keep out dogs and other small vermin, weasel size animals are about the only thing that the electric isn't much good for as far as I'm concerned you need hardware cloth for them

Back
Top Bottom