Electric fence safety

PuppyBantamCochin

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
I asked a question on here a while back about temporary electric fence.
Finally, I've got enough money of my own to buy a roll,energizer&battery.

ANYHOW, I am seriously considering buying some this month before the crazy spring pasture growth....but a few things popped up that concerned me:
In a set-up video, it says that the voltage is 3000. Does this make sense? My dad thinks it's too much for something that will just hold a few goats.
If 3000volts it is, how dangerous would it be for a young child if they accidentally touched it? (I have young siblings)

Thanks,

PuppyBC

It isn't the volts that getcha, it's the amps. 'Struth.

Electric fences run at high voltage but low amperage, and furthermore it is a pulsed current. (Well in most fencers it is, and I strongly feel that people should not even *contemplate* the always-on type (still available if you look hard, or if you are careless in shopping for a dog-containment type electric fence) unless they are trying to confine a rabid wild boar or an extreme hardened-criminal-type dog. B/c the always on type is *not* very safe.)

Anyhow, speaking of 'normal' pulsed fence chargers:

While they will "kick" you rather stoutly at 3,000v (tho to keep dogs and coyotes out *reliably*, you'd really want closer to 4,000v) and you will decide not to do that again, they will not even come close to "killing you" under normal circumstances. The only concern would be the following unusual circumstances: if you have a heart problem or pacemaker; if you fall on the fence such that you are unable to get up/free between pulses; if you fall on the fence while in water; or, there is one (1) recorded fatality of a toddler killed by head contact with an electric fence whilst crawling in tall wet grass.

PLEASE NOTE that the voltage of the fence IS NOT DETERMINED BY the charger, though. (you mention the setup video says it "will" be 3,000v -- no, only under some circumstances). It is determined by the charger AND the load (loss and resistance) of the fence it is attached to. For instance a particular charger may give you 6,000v charge in some circumstances, 3,000v in others, 1,000v in others, and 0 net charge in yet other circumstances (i.e. if it is grounded out). For this reason you MUST MUST MUST get a good fence tester, ideally a digital one b/c the five-neon-lights thingies are notoriously inaccurate, and test the fence regularly to see if it really IS carrying the necessary amount of charge. (And if it's not, obviously, find the problem and fix it)

Personally I do not see any problem with having an electric fence around kids who are like 3+ yrs old. Below that, personally I'd rather keep them away from the fence by other means but would still have it on the property (and have -- my kids are currently 3-almost-4 and 6-almost-7). Of course everyone should make their own decisions.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

You are using a proper fence charger right? 2000-3000volts is a standard charger output for large livestock and an amount I've run in to frequently with no harm. In fact we'd test the horse fence by hand on purpose on a fairly regular basis rather than walking back from a mile or more a way to get the voltmeter to test that spot in the fence. Goats require a higher voltage than horses or most other animals and I've heard suggested 4000-7000 volts for them. Human security fences are in the 10,000volt range. Now if we aren't talking about a proper fence charger even a much much lower voltage could be deadly. There are several things built in to modern day fence chargers that make them safer. Most modern fence chargers will also tell you what type of animals they are rated for.

Back
Top Bottom