Electric Fence

How much voltage do you think a chicken could take. I'm thinking about just dialing down the amps so the birds feel it, and stay away, but so do the fox/raccoon/everything else

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/54201/electric-fencing/10

not sure if you saw this thread. But here it discusses poultry safety and enough joules/amps/voltage what have you to keep preds out. I'm sure they (chickens) can take the least compared to a predator. So if it's safe for your chickens it might only be a irritant buzz on a predator. Which may just do the job anyways.

Do you have a rooster? I'm just saying they do a heck of a job for my flock keeping them safe. I haven't lost a one to free ranging everyday. They just need cover: Picnic tables, parked car, deck bushes, woods near by, etc. I'm sure a rooster would do a pretty good job in a field with a bit of cover here and there.

Last edited:
I do not know the exact amout a chicken can take, but the voltage isn't really the issue, fences are high voltage, it is meant to zap whatever touches it much like a tazer, but it's low amps so it doesn't kill, also it is a pulsing shock not a steady one which should allow whatever touches enough time to get away from the fence. As far as a good charger goes I would look into what is suggested to use on electric poultry netting, I would think that would be low enough not to worry about your birds dying, though that is not a definite guarantee.

I am not a big fan of using ONLY electric wire to contain birds.

I have used elec fencing in the past but only to supplement a permanent livestock fence (great to keep livestock away from busting fences). Dogs can easily shoot right through elec lines. Seen it many times. Other predators can also go through and over. I suppose if I were to use electric lines to supplement a permanent fence to contain birds then I would add it to the outside down low to keep predators from digging. Of couse there is the added disadvantage if you lose power then your containment is compromised.

Quote: My chickens have never read that thread.
I've seen them go through a 5000 volt fence and not even get shocked.
When it does shock them, it just hurries them up a little

But to the OP, a couple of wires a few inches off the ground won't keep anything in or out.
Plain electric wire won't keep chickens in at all since they just go between the wires

It takes at least 4 ft fence to keep dogs out, and some will jump those easily

I have an enclosed run as well as an attached outside (about 3 ft tall) fence that I allow my girls in only when I am close by. They are both surrounded on the outside by 2 low strands of electric fence that is held away from the coop on posts about 4-6 inches. Several times we had some "traveling" dogs actually come and pull/stretch the chicken wire with their teeth, and chew the corners of the nesting boxes trying to get in, so my husband decided to install the electric fence. We have seen fox, coyote, raccoon, snakes, etc on our property. No "visitors" since the electric fence was installed. My dogs also must have "tasted" it, because they won't even go near the coop. It is not at all pleasing to touch, but like you said it is a pulsing shock and not deadly to my chickens. I know this because on one unfortunate incident when my sweet Ruby (Rhode Island Red) got spooked and flew over the 3 ft fence. I was nearby and went to help her back inside but she was still spooked and ran from me. She got all tangled up between the 3ft fence and the hot wire - it was shocking her - she was flailing around and I was terrified and ran to her trying to help. It felt like an eternity in slow motion, but was probably 4-5 seconds. I watched her closely after that but once I got her back in with the others, she was fine. I learned a lesson though. The electric fence will not be on if they are in the outside pen. I do love the security of not having to worry about them at night. :)

Last edited:
An electric fens does a good job of keeping most chicken thieves at bay. A 5 wire fens 3 foot high and with a strong and well grounded charger will repel almost everything that touches it. The exception is when the varmint fails to make contact with the fence or makes contact at top speed. Space the bottom wire 3 1/2 inches off the ground and the second wire the same distance from the bottom one.

You can also inter space hot or positive wires with ground or negative wires like this: +
-
+
-
+
-
+
-
+

The idea is to force small chicken thieves to contact both a hot or positive and a negative or ground wire while trying to get through your fence. This will complete the circuit and give the thief a jolt to remember. This also closes up the fence and discourages your chickens from giving the fence a try. Dogs (yours included) that touch your fence will likely be repelled from that spot for the rest of their lives. Even after the fence is removed they will hesitate or refuse to cross that line. One learning experience with an electric fence is enough for most dogs. Do be prepared to either weed eat often under the fence during the growing season or else keep the grass and weeds burned down with Round-Up. If you have large trees like oaks, pines, or maples, the little twigs that these trees shed can be a problem if one hangs on a wire and provides the electricity a better path to ground. Snow is a problem for the same reason. Since mammal predators are all 4 legged and they don't wear Nike's, predators are even better grounded than you or I. Most predators that makes contact with your fence will discover that they have pressing business elsewhere. It is almost impossible to build an electric fence that will stop every weasel because they are already so low to the ground that they are unlikely to contact the bottom hot wire at every spot and if you move the bottom wire to close to ground you defeat the fence.

If you live in a arid or sandy area the effectiveness of an electric fence decreases in proportion to how dry the earth is. The use of inter spaced hot and ground wires shown above will correct this problem. An electric fence can also be a fire hazard in arid areas if you don't keep vegetation under control 3 or 4 feet on either side of the fence.

Coyotes can be a little harder to dissuade and they may learn to vault the fence or if hungry enough pin their ears back and run over or through your electric fence. This is a prime reason that a catch and release mind set should be discouraged among Back Yard Chicken fanciers. The varmints play for keeps, they don't play tag your it, or dodge ball with your chickens. Catch and release varmint breeding only helps develop a super predator with more disdain for humans, a greater love for our poultry, and advanced degrees in how to catch poultry while evading the pitfalls we put in their way.

A good lighting arresting system is a must especially in the South East or Mid-West and be sure that you keep an extra charger fuse or two laying around. Finally everything to build an electric fence is cheap and easy to install, but do splurge and buy a little more charger than you think that you will need.

I have the electric poultry fencing which I use a small lawn tractor battery to supply the charge. It has been very effective to keep ground predators out and nosey chickens in. Hehe....We move it when we move the flock around the property to free range, so to speak, within the protective fencing. I had fox troubles at one time but not since the electric fence. I wish I had a hawk tazer now.....

Back
Top Bottom