should i let my chickens sleep on top of their coop?

it’s all kind of overwhelming and it’s just me taking care of them so i don’t know how to do any of that. i’m kind of inexperienced when it comes to building. i think i’ll have to get a new one:(
You don't have anyone in your family who can do basic sawing or drilling?

Nothing wrong with getting something new (since you mentioned no building, I can't imagine you're planning on building a coop) but you're going to need to make sure that the replacement doesn't have the same issues as this current one.

You don't have anyone in your family who can do basic sawing or drilling?

Nothing wrong with getting something new (since you mentioned no building, I can't imagine you're planning on building a coop) but you're going to need to make sure that the replacement doesn't have the same issues as this current one.
my dad is willing to help! i just need to figure out what it has to look like and if it is worth renovating it or getting a new one

If that run is secure enough, I wouldn't worry about them sleeping in the run.

I'm in your region a little further up the hill and overbuilt a fancy coop for my flock - yet ever since adding a few roost bars inside the run, they all prefer to sleep in the run year-round - two different flocks now.

Personally I would say build a new setup and sell that toy coop or modify it into something better. If you don't have experience building stuff, IMO a chicken coop is a perfect project to start with. If you need advice, myself and I'm sure many others here will be willing to help.

Good luck!

If that run is secure enough, I wouldn't worry about them sleeping in the run.

I'm in your region a little further up the hill and overbuilt a fancy coop for my flock - yet ever since adding a few roost bars inside the run, they all prefer to sleep in the run year-round - two different flocks now.

Personally I would say build a new setup and sell that toy coop or modify it into something better. If you don't have experience building stuff, IMO a chicken coop is a perfect project to start with. If you need advice, myself and I'm sure many others here will be willing to help.

Good luck!
thank you! i think i’m going to buy a shed and add some nesting boxes and roosts.

I have 6 girls 2 have ALWAYS slept on top of the coop and 1 does sometimes. My friend has some polish and 1/2 sleep in the coop and 1/2 outside in the run. As long as they are secure I don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom