Electric fence?

One last question - what about rabbits? Would they be ok inside this fencing?
They will get zapped if they touch it but should be ok. Please note that there are different strengths of fencing... However you probably want to go with s predator rated fence and they are the strongest. Btw way I have the highest rated fence and accidentally tested it with my butt today while working in my garden today. My three year old couldnt stop laughing. I jumped pretty high and did a fair amount of howling.... I can say i kept looking over my shoulder afterwards to make sure it wasn't sneaking up on me. Lol. It still hurts a little even though it happened. 5 hours ago.

Typically the fence consists of a charger, posts with insulators and wire strands ... I have n 't used the netting but. Probably similar but with netting instead of wire strands. Some charges are more powerful than others ... More power = more deterrence and / or longer fences

Chiming in on the poultry netting, I'm a newbie to chicken farming, but after having my poultry netting up for 2 weeks, I can say without a doubt it works against ground predators my 110 pound yellow lab pup got educated in 2 encounters with the fence. My 70 pound redbone hound/lab pup did the same. We have a hyge forested parcel of land behind my property, foxes coyotes bears and bobcats are common visitors. Something hit the fence in a pouring rainstorm a few nights ago and ran away and made no other attempts at the coop.
HOWEVER!!!! These fences can and will prove deadly to your chickens if not properly installed. We have had several of our chickens get curious about the fence, peck at it and get zapped, feathers are no different than fur, if you doubt this I encourage you to pick up a feather from your coop and touch the fence with it early the morning when the grass is damp. Just be prepared for the education you will receive. Just today we had a chicken get in the fence, had we not been here it would have killed her, we painted one of her nails so as to keep track of her, she is eating and drinking and flying I and out if the coop, she smells like burnt feathers and isn't walking normal. When I got to her her body was very warm, so chickens do get shocked by fences. Tomorrow I will be installing a two foot high chicken wire barrier fence or plastic fence around the inside of the whole coop area. After spending 400 bucks on the supplies to set up the electricfied fence, I'm wondering if I'd have been better to have just free ranged and risked the predators. None if the fence manufacturers have disclaimers warning as to the possibility of chickens and small animals dying in the fence, although I'm sure some will say the same applies to hot coffee disclaimers, common sense needs to apply.

I also have touched the fence which is .7 joules and putting out 5000 volts, so I'm sure having that fence around her neck was not pleasant for my chicken

Low impedance high voltage low amperage, AND make sure your fencer is a pulse charger and not continuous. If it is continuous anything that touches the netting will fry and in turn burn right through your poly rope wire. Rendering the fence useless. Wet and damp feathers and farm pond frogs have raised havoc with our fence. Many repairs and some great tech support from Zareba have helped us rectify the issues with our fence. Now when the chickens get curious they get a pulse zap and jump away.

Back
Top Bottom