eliminating blood?

flyingfilly

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2014
WI / IL border
My 4 1/2 month old Ameracauna hen eliminated what looked like a stream of blood and poop. She looks great, seems very healthy, and eats very well. I would assume though that blood is a bad thing to be eliminating..... Any help, information or suggestions?
Brigitte

It could be coccidiosis. Since it can be deadly if not treated in time, I would probably start treatment with Corid (amprollium.) Watch for more blood in the stools, and look for lethargy, puffing up, diarrhea, and not eating. She is old enough to have developed some immunity to coccidia, but Corid is not dangerous to treat with if that is not the problem. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1 to 1 and 1/2 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Capillaria worms can also cause blood in the stool. SafeGuard liquid Goat Wormer 1 ml orally for 5 straight days is the treatment for capillaria worms. Having a stool sample checked by your vet would tell you which it is.

Update on my Amercauna pullet.... I found Corid and will go pick It up shortly. She still seems to be doing fine although I isolated her which she is very unhappy about. She is strutting around mumbling. Her poop is still runny today but not so much blood.

What are the ages of your other chickens? I would probably put her back in with them, and treat them all at the same time. If she has cocci, it is contagious, so they all have been exposed. It is much easier to start treatment at the same time, rather than to treat each one separately as each gets symptoms. Of course, that's up to you, but it's not like a respiratory disease where you would only treat the one showing symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom