Embden Goose- How To Tell Sex

My trick is body posture. It doesn't work with goslings but it will with bigger birds. I have and work with a lot of geese domestic and wild. If you can get a group together the ganders upright posture will give them away as where hens will not stand up as straight.

Here are the pic of the geese, can anyone tell me male & female? Double click on the pic to enlarge/

Last edited:
Its so easy to tell the sex even with goslings, the males are always bigger have longer necks, bigger heads they are more boisterous brasen and proud, males have an orangey coloured beak females have pinkish the females are quieter and less confrontational if you chase them into a huddle the males usually go on the outside.

Vent sexing is fast and very accurate with the proper technique and some practice. Grab/immobilize an adult goose by holding the wings at the base with one hand. Tuck the head under the wing which will typically settle it down. Now with the wings and head under control you can sit down and place the goose upside down securely between your thighs. Hold it tight enough that you no longer need your hands to keep the goose secure. Not too tight! Now the tricky part to vent sexing is to push the tail feathers down, use your thumbs and fingers to gently but firmly push down while stretching out a bit. If done properly it will expose the private parts. Easier said than done until you get the hang of it. Younger geese are easier to handle. I sexed many thousand wild Canada geese this way.

Thanks for your reply i know vent sexing is the only 100% way to determine the sex but i also find just observing geese can go a long way. I have two embden goslings here due to be vented in a few weeks but im nearly sure theyre male and female. I'll keep you posted as to what they are thanks again.

eeeh really? I havent even heard of DNA sexing how do you go about getting that done, through a vet? i will definatly bear that in mind cos id be hopeless at venting.

eeeh really? I havent even heard of DNA sexing how do you go about getting that done, through a vet? i will definatly bear that in mind cos id be hopeless at venting.

You can go through a vet, or you can collect a sample yourself, usually a feather. Here's a link that you can check out http://www.avianbiotech.com/
Also try googling "DNA sexing bird" and more info comes up that way.

It has been said that eye colour can be used to sex geese, the ganders having blue eyes and the goose having brown eyes. Also the gander has a shrill, high pitched note compared with the lower, deeper, harsher note of the goose. These two methods are not perfect ways to separate the sexes a reputable breeder will check by vent sexing geese having the same equipment as the males in most species and contrary to some stories they can be sexed from babies.

Back
Top Bottom