Embden Goose- How To Tell Sex

Pics

queenbeezz

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Orlando
I have a female Embden and am going to buy a male tomorrow. How do you tell male from female? I know I have a female, I saw her lay an egg. Do the males have an apron like she does?

First I would like to point out that both sexes of all geese are lobed either single or double. When laying the lobes or lobe on the hen tend to become large as that's where the eggs are formed and are commonly called a paunch.

Beak color is not a diffinative way to sex embdens. All embdens have a tendency to develop pinker feet and beaks it's a recessive trait I believe that's expressed when two recessive's match up, or it's because of crosses with geese for which pink bills and feet are a necessary characterisctic according to the American Standard of Perfection. My embden geese are not able to be sexed this way nor are any other true embdens I've seen.
With adult geese the ganders honk tends to be higher pitched and almost shrill, while hens will be lower more like an actual honking sound. Ganders tend to stand up straighter and are usually larger in size. They also tend to have larger and more masculine looking necks and heads. It's common for young hens to have gray or bluish tinted feathers their first year before adulthood most commonly found in their wings and sides.

This is my trio last fall as young geese, the gander is in the middle.
103_1101.jpg

These embdens we had earlier this decade, the two hens in the picture above are descendents of them. The ganders are in the middle. Obviously size is not always a good way to sex as the gander second from the right is tiny and the hen at the far right was huge.
emden.jpg

Maybe this will help it's a cute video but really shows the difference between a goose and a gander

Also if your gander is coming towards breeding age he will be the one most aggressive standing between you and the goose, ganders also stand with their necks stretched straight with head in the air .

Last edited:

My goose now sitting on their nest.
ya.gif
What a pretty picture. How many eggs? and you do know that your gander is going to get all protective and not want any one around his lady and her goslings when they hatch. So be prepared for his attitude as protector . They do bite too. It's all part of having geese.
smile.png

Quote:
I don't know how to tell the difference between male and female. I have 2 that I got this year. Not sure still what I have yet. Won't know until one hopefully lays an egg next year (or doesn't lay).

Do you think you can post a picture of you female so I can see what I need to look for? I would so greatly appreciate it. Pretty Pleeaassee.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom