Emergency! Constipated/Eggbound Hen? Please Help! Pics!

Quote: I'm positive that she has fluid in her abdomen. Is there anyway that I can drain it without a vet? I worried that she might not make it through the night if it doesn't get drained. I really don't want to lose her. She is a very special hen to me.

I do not know what is wrong with your chicken, but from experience if there is fluid in the abdomen it won't feel squishy;it will feel hard.I had a hen that would retain fluid in her abdomen quite often and it always felt hard.

I'm positive that she has fluid in her abdomen. Is there anyway that I can drain it without a vet? I worried that she might not make it through the night if it doesn't get drained. I really don't want to lose her. She is a very special hen to me.

Post 135 has some pictures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68731/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites/130

You need an18 gauge needle and a large syringe. Do not attempt unless you are 100% sure it's fluids. Even then, know that there is risk and that she could die during or after you try.

-Kathy

I'm positive that she has fluid in her abdomen. Is there anyway that I can drain it without a vet? I worried that she might not make it through the night if it doesn't get drained. I really don't want to lose her. She is a very special hen to me.
If you are unsure about draining the fluid or even that that is the problem,I would follow the supportive care that casportpony posted and keep her as comfortable as possible.Meanwhile,I would also at least make an appointment that works with you schedule for travel time but ASAP if funds permit. I'll pray for your little girl......what is her name?

Thank you! Her name is Black-Eyed Susan and her nickname is Black-Eyes.
That's a very cute name.Ours always seem to get nicknames too!
tongue.png

I was just reading this because something is not right with my girl. What happened to Black Eyed Susan?
My little lady is a 22 weeks old Buff orpington and has not laid yet. Well tonight when I went to close the coop I saw that she wasn't on the roost. She was squatting down like she was laying an egg but no egg. She would walk around a little but then right back to squatting. I did some searching and thought she may have an egg stuck. ( I am a first time chicken owner. I thought I had 12 girls ended up with 9 and 3 boys. Just got rid of the RIR because he was aggressive and mating a lot with non laying hen. Now I have 2 soon to be 1 white Cochin rooster. So to say the least I am a rookie but I do as much ready and asking questions as i can!) And the only way to know for sure is to put on a glove with some lubricant and go about 2 inches. Well I did that and didnt feel an egg. Not sure what to do but I brought her in the house in a box with straw food and water and placed her in a dark cool place. ANY help would be appreciated!!!

I was just reading this because something is not right with my girl. What happened to Black Eyed Susan?
My little lady is a 22 weeks old Buff orpington and has not laid yet. Well tonight when I went to close the coop I saw that she wasn't on the roost. She was squatting down like she was laying an egg but no egg. She would walk around a little but then right back to squatting. I did some searching and thought she may have an egg stuck. ( I am a first time chicken owner. I thought I had 12 girls ended up with 9 and 3 boys. Just got rid of the RIR because he was aggressive and mating a lot with non laying hen. Now I have 2 soon to be 1 white Cochin rooster. So to say the least I am a rookie but I do as much ready and asking questions as i can!) And the only way to know for sure is to put on a glove with some lubricant and go about 2 inches. Well I did that and didnt feel an egg. Not sure what to do but I brought her in the house in a box with straw food and water and placed her in a dark cool place. ANY help would be appreciated!!!
Is she alert?
Is she able to poop?

It does sound like she might be trying to lay an egg, with pullets, it can take a while, so give her some time, keep her calm.
I would see that she is hydrated, you can offer her some extra calcium and poultry vitamins, but hydration and patience are usually the best things.

Hopefully she will lay her egg by morning. What do you feed your flock? Do they have oyster shell available?

Back
Top Bottom