Emergency Coop Heat Idea!

Chicken D's mom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
I live in Mid-Nebraska where we are getting clobbered by an early winter storm and very cold temps of 19 degrees. I hadn't finished insulating my chicken tractor before the storm hit and I really hate the idea of electrical heat in such a small coop.

I wasn't sure what I'd wake up to this morning.

We have 4-5 inches of snow and the chickens are all okay, but I noticed my rooster shifting from one foot to the other as if they were freezing.

I had some "HOT HANDS" hand warmers in my car, for emergencies. They are non -toxic and they really heat up!! I put one in an old glove and threw it in the back of the tractor. A few minutes later the temperature in the coop was noticeablly warmer!

I also draped the tractor and run with clear plastic sheeting, loosly
to allow ventilation but to prevent drafts. I put some pine bedding in the run so the chickens can venture outside the coop if they want to without their feet getting too cold.

Chicken D's mom :

I live in Mid-Nebraska where we are getting clobbered by an early winter storm and very cold temps of 19 degrees. I hadn't finished insulating my chicken tractor before the storm hit and I really hate the idea of electrical heat in such a small coop.

We have 4-5 inches of snow and the chickens are all okay, but I noticed my rooster shifting from one foot to the other as if they were freezing.

I had some "HOT HANDS" hand warmers in my car, for emergencies. They are non -toxic and they really heat up!! I put one in an old glove and threw it in the back of the tractor. A few minutes later the temperature in the coop was noticeablly warmer!

to allow ventilation but to prevent drafts. I put some pine bedding in the run so the chickens can venture outside the coop if they want to without their feet getting too cold.

good idea on the hot hands - I've used those to transport hatching eggs in the freezing weather. I also thought about using them for transporting chicks.

meri​

Thanks for the Hot hands idea. I have some unused from last year! That will get us through the cold nights until we get the coop built!

Yes, and for a quick solution you can fill some plastic jugs with warm water (not hot) and leave them long enough to offer ambient heat. Offer extra bedding, and wild bird suet or cracked corn to get the body temps of the birds up...

I have an Eglu and I bought one of those heated dog bed things. . .that I can put under the roosting bars. . .it does not put off tons of heat but just a bit. Seems to work good. . .I also use a heated water bowl in the winter. So if you are close to electricity. . .might work for you.

I like the hand warmers in a glove idea.

Back
Top Bottom