Emergency, Egg Shell Stuck in Vent (Graphic Pictures)

Pics

Nickvrad

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2023
Hello again friends, my hen I noticed today she is having a piece of a possible soft shell broken egg stuck in her vent. I tried to pull gently because I didn't want to injure her but I'm not sure if I should try to force it out this way. Please help what to do in this case. This is the same hen that suffers from foamy eye as well and today I'm starting her on Tylan 50. I really try to help her any way possible :(

Attachments

• 20230801_131539.jpg
    20230801_131539.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 351
  • 20230801_131535.jpg
    20230801_131535.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230801_131529.jpg
    20230801_131529.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 48
What I would do is get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her that once a day, even after that egg shell is out continue to give it for a week or so after.
You can also try to lubricate around her vent to help her get that egg shell out.
Do not pull it out, as that may do more harm than good.
It also looks like she's prolapsing a bit, so make sure to keep that exposed tissue moist with a cream or honey.

What I would do is get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her that once a day, even after that egg shell is out continue to give it for a week or so after.
You can also try to lubricate around her vent to help her get that egg shell out.
Do not pull it out, as that may do more harm than good.
It also looks like she's prolapsing a bit, so make sure to keep that exposed tissue moist with a cream or honey.
Hello Tookie and thank you for your answer. I have a couple questions though. So the shell is going to come out itself? The supplement you recommend is a tablet? How i give her something like this to eat it? https://www.amazon.com/21st-Century...c=1&sprefix=calcium+citrate++d3,aps,98&sr=8-5

Hello Tookie and thank you for your answer. I have a couple questions though. So the shell is going to come out itself?
Yes, the shell will come out on its own.
The supplement you recommend is a tablet? How i give her something like this to eat it?
Correct, it is a tablet. You just pop the tablet in her mouth and she'll swallow it!
That's exactly what you want!

You can probably pull it out.

Are you aware that in order for Tylan to work it must be given no less than three times a day 8 hours apart?

You can probably pull it out.

Are you aware that in order for Tylan to work it must be given no less than three times a day 8 hours apart?
Hi Kiki and thank you for your answer too. Truth is I tried to pull it a little and I saw the vent being affected too much so I let it be. For the Tylan another member told me exactly the same thing, so two people giving the same direction that's a good way to go 👍

Yes, the shell will come out on its own.

Correct, it is a tablet. You just pop the tablet in her mouth and she'll swallow it!

That's exactly what you want!
Thank you again. One last thing, using honey will not make her sticky and attract flies or any other issues? What kind of cream can I use in this case?

Have you pulled the membrane out yet, or has she passed it? Sometimes they will go back inside if you don’t get them out. The reason for using honey is to reduce the swelling if there is a prolapse or swelling. Hydrocortisone cream works that way too. If there is a prolapse, just keep the tissue moist with whatever cream or ointment you have. Calcium is a good idea as well.

Back
Top Bottom