EMERGENCY- HELP!!

Keep her isolated with that bad of an injury. If they peck her skull when exposed they can do brain damage if thats wasnt already done. Plus you could end up with a others trying to eat her exposed flesh and cause even more issues. I have a hen that got a nasty wound on her neck but the others dont mess with it because it doesnt have blood on it and its covered with feathers. But chickens can be attracted to red so that could be a problem i would say use blue..what that ointment called anyways it makes the wound blue instead of red with a mild injury i would use that in this case i say she need to be in a cage you can keep her in the cage in the coop so she still part of the flock but cant get attacked by the others as she heal.

Hi the stuff is called bluekote. Beekissed on the forums here also has a recipe that I made up with oil and sulphur.
One of my young (about 4 months old as well) BCM pullets last year was severely pecked down to the bone on the top of her head. I put her in a dog crate and kept her in the house for about 4 weeks - plastered the cream on the head after gently cleaning it. I gave her water through a dropper and then some scrambled eggs and probiotic yoghurt and thought she was a goner the first 3 days. then she slowly turned around and even layed her first egg in our house.
she has a thick white scar on the top of her head but is a fully functioning member of the flock now.
So good luck and hope she improves!

It looks dehydrated, add sugar to the water and force-feed it a bit. As for separation, keep her away from the flock indoors and alone. Be with her as much as you can. Keep using antibiotics on the wound and hopefully she gets better.

Sounds good,

So far she seems very content with the warm house (74) compared to the cool coop (48-65).

Shes very calm and sleepy. I put sugar, feed, and water in a dish and mixed it up in case she comes around to eating.

I whistled and she stood up, opened both eyes, and was very alert - suggesting that she is choosing to rest, not because shes lethargic.

I think just using a dropper they can choose not to take it. And I just put tiny bits of food in the first 2 days and dipped her beak in the yogurt. Sounds like the sugar water is the most important thing. You can make up a simple electrolytes solution with a pint of water a teaspoon of salt and 2-3 teaspoons of sugar mixed together.

Same thing happened to a couple of my girls. The one pictured is Buffy. She wasb in pretty bad shape and quite stressed after this happened. I didn't force feed her. I waited and observed her. She drank on her own but didn't really eat for a couple days.I think they need some time to get over the stress/shock. Just keep the wound clean and apply triple antibiotic ointment (without the pain reliever or "caine" in it. Keeping her away from the others until fully recovered is what I suggest as the others WILL get curious and peck at her wound. I know it looks bad but chickens are resilient. I'm confident she'll pull through.

Overnight:

I "put her to bed" in my brooder. I gave 1mL water and 1mL wet food by syringe.

I left open water and crushed pellets available.

This morning she is eating and drinking by herself. Im going to remix the Sugar/Water ratio to fit as descrined above.

Im certain she would have died in the corner yesterday, had I not seen her and got her warm, fluids, food, and some antibiotic cream. I feel she'll make a full recovery, since there was no damage to the eyes or ears.

Last edited:
Overnight:

I "put her to bed" in my brooder. I gave 1mL water and 1mL wet food by syringe.

I left open water and crushed pellets available.

This morning she is eating and drinking by herself. Im going to remix the Sugar/Water ratio to fit as descrined above.

Im certain she would have died in the corner yesterday, had I not seen her and got her warm, fluids, food, and some antibiotic cream. I feel she'll make a full recovery, since there was no damage to the eyes or ears.

that's great news
1f600.png

you are doing a good job!

Back
Top Bottom