Emergency run ideas.

The layout. You can see a few of the bushes here, but most of them are off screen to the left. The hawk is in the tall tree just left of center frame. The field itself is about 18 acres.
20180719_093130.jpg

I've also done this and it worked well -

Tractor Supply sells a very cheap (like $30) 5' tall roll of black plastic netting (I think 100' long). They also sell fiberglass electric fence post (like $1 or $2 ea).

I made a very large fenced in area doing this when I had about 60 chickens. This kept them at least contained. I put up a pop up tent in the middle of the area with food and water (as well as for shade) and would sit out there with them from time to time. When I wasn't out there with them, I'd let my dog or goats roam around in the fenced in area.

The movement of the goats/dog was enough to keep the hawks away.

If you can provide cover from above so the hawk can't swoop down on your chickens that is likely all you need. Hawks don't normally go into the hedgerow to drag things out, they attack from above.

100% sure the chickens also know the hawk is there. Nardole is on high alert, and the pullets (+ Rory) and so well hidden it took me forever to find them. I could not coax them out of the bushes for anything.
20180719_120538.jpg

If you can provide cover from above so the hawk can't swoop down on your chickens that is likely all you need. Hawks don't normally go into the hedgerow to drag things out, they attack from above.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I've seen hawks on the ground, harrassing my chickens through the fence.

To OP: even bird netting over the top of your run will keep hawks out of the run. I had to put up a run when I had relentless hawk activity kill 3 birds in as many weeks.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I've seen hawks on the ground, harrassing my chickens through the fence.

To OP: even bird netting over the top of your run will keep hawks out of the run. I had to put up a run when I had relentless hawk activity kill 3 birds in as many weeks.

Wow, that's a hungry bird! I've never had them do more than come to the fence or roof as everyone runs for cover.

Back
Top Bottom