Found Injured Hen on Side of Road in Ditch, treating wound but now maybe wheezing? Does she need antibiotics?

cshore

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
Hey all,

I found a chicken on the side of the road in a ditch while I was walking my weiner dog. We both thought she was a dead animal but she was still alive. So i ran back to my house and got my car and grabbed her.
The first day I gave her a bath and didn’t see anything but a small puncture wound. This was Thursday. The next day I gave her another one to really look at her wounds. I found a big chunk taken out of her back between her wings right behind her head.
I don’t own chickens, I’ve always wanted them as pets but don’t know much about them.

So I did a lot of research and I clipped away the feathers that were stuck to the wound and washed it with gentle pet soap and water. Then I used vetracyn to clean it out. Then I used a very very diluted hydrogen peroxide solution and have been using neosporin (without painkiller) since then to pack the wound and I’ve been doing a body wrap as her dressing. There are also a few scrapes on the side of her body under her wing.
I am wondering if there are any other wounds, these are the only ones I’ve found but I wasn’t sure if I should put her through the stress of giving her another bath and poking and proding.

The first few days she was eating well even pellets of feed. I was feeding her watermelon and eggs mainly and the pellets. Then she stopped eating the pellets and was only eating the watermelon and egg like 2 days ago. Now she’s only eating the watermelon and i got some dried meal worms at a feed store and shes been loving those today thank god.

But she isn’t drinking water and her stool is green and very watery. Where I live its been almost 80 degrees every day and one day I was worried she had heat exhaustion because she was keeping her beak open so I put her in front of some fans and moved her inside.

I’ve been using a dog crate and towels as her little home for now. I’ve let her walk around on our covered/fenced deck so she can stretch her legs. She seems a bit wobbly, she can walk around and jump up on stuff but she is definitely not feeling fully well.

Her wound smelled infected a couple days ago and yesterday it smelled much better and I did another hydrogen peroxide diluted wash.

Her coos have been sounding a little muffled, I know green stool can indicate respiratory stress. So I bought VetRX and plan to give that to her this evening via beak/dropper and I also bought the antibiotic Duramycin and syringes just in case.

I don’t see any worms in the stool and her comb doesn’t seem pale but I am worried about her sound she’s making (its not constant its every 10 minutes or so)

She laid an egg the morning after I found her but she hasn’t lain since. I am assuming either from stress or dehydration or age since I don’t know how old she is.

I am really committed to making sure she makes it. I assume it was a hawk attack. My biggest fear is internal damage that I can’t see. She cuddles with me and sleeps easily she’s been a delight to hangout with and my calling in life is to rescue animals, I’ve done it my whole life just never a chicken! So please help me figure out what the next steps to figuring out if she needs antibiotics. I’ve also seen Coccidiosis could be the cause and I don’t know how long she wa son the side of the road in the ditch, she was snuggled up in there but was exhausted and in pain. She may have drank from a puddle I just don’t know. When I found her, her wounds were completely dry and not bleeding. I found one maggot egg in her feathers and removed it.

I am thinking of giving her another bath tomorrow just to do a more thorough check and make sure there weren’t any other wounds or issues but am afraid of the stress/causing more respiratory issues (if that is indeed whats going on)

Can post photos if needed!

Yes, a puncture wound always requires an antibiotic since it's not possible to clean out the bacteria injected below the outer skin layer. It may already be too late to start an antibiotic after this many days. The bacteria is most likely systemic by now.

You can certainly try, though. Use any antibiotic you have on hand.

Stop using peroxide after the initial wound cleansing as it destroys new tissue growth.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her wounds?

I agree, I'd stop the Peroxide.
If you have Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) use that to clean her wounds.
You detected an odor and found a maggot(?) so it would be a very good idea to investigate to make sure there are no maggots in any wounds, if there are, then they need to be flushed out, picked out/removed.

Depending on the location of the wound(s), leaving them unwrapped is usually better.

Antibiotics is a good idea if you have them.

When in recovery, if watermelon is what she's willing to eat, then good. Try to encourage her to eat poultry pellets - you can offer them wet, made into a mush.
Bits of scrambled or hard boiled egg, sardines/tuna/mackerel are also sometimes interesting to them.

I don't think I'd worry about Coccidiosis if she's an adult. Green poop may be from infection or just bile because she's not eating/drinking very well.

Welcome To BYC

You detected an odor and found a maggot(?) so it would be a very good idea to investigate to make sure there are no maggots in any wounds, if there are, then they need to be flushed out, picked out/removed.

Depending on the location of the wound(s), leaving them unwrapped is usually better.

When in recovery, if watermelon is what she's willing to eat, then good. Try to encourage her to eat poultry pellets - you can offer them wet, made into a mush.
Bits of scrambled or hard boiled egg, sardines/tuna/mackerel are also sometimes interesting to them.

I don't think I'd worry about Coccidiosis if she's an adult. Green poop may be from infection or just bile because she's not eating/drinking very well.
So I just saw that she actually has been drinking the water! I didn't realise how much the water level had gone down til i changed it today and I have been putting electrolyte powder for chicken dehydration that I got at the feed store there.

And thank you for the info about the peroxide. I've been trying to decide when I should stop

Do you think that giving her a bath tomorrow is the way to go to double check for maggots? I worry about stressing her more but if anyone else agrees its a good idea you all know better than I do

I used vetrx and she already sounds slightly clearer

I have duramycin injectable form and 22 gauge needles. I had a chihuahua with diabetes and know how to administer subcutaneously but I'm sure its very different with chickens. i did see someone had posted they used duramycin in the same way for their chicken with an eye wound and it worked well.
Do you agree with that idea?

Thank you so much for easing my mind about the coccidiosis. I will post photos of the wounds tonight

I was keeping it wrapped just because she's been picking at it when it isn't :/

Last edited:
Yes, a puncture wound always requires an antibiotic since it's not possible to clean out the bacteria injected below the outer skin layer. It may already be too late to start an antibiotic after this many days. The bacteria is most likely systemic by now.

You can certainly try, though. Use any antibiotic you have on hand.

Stop using peroxide after the initial wound cleansing as it destroys new tissue growth.
I have duramycin injectable form and 22 gauge needles. I had a chihuahua with diabetes and know how to administer subcutaneously but I'm sure its very different with chickens. i did see someone had posted they used duramycin in the same way for their chicken with an eye wound and it worked well.
Do you agree with that idea?

Thank you for the information about the hydrogen peroxide, I had been debating when to stop using it

If the bacteria is systemic does that mean she'll not make it?

She still has so much life

If she's not lethargic and agreeable, giving her a soak/bath will probably be o.k.
Some birds go over the edge when bathed, so access her before bathing.
If she's really stressed, then flushing wounds with your antiseptic without bathing would be a better option.

Drinking is on her own is very good!

As for Duramycin, it's been one of those tricky medications that's hard to nail down dosing.
More info in the link below. It's given intramuscular every 3 days from what I have been able to gather over the years.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-with-dioxytetracyline.1342639/post-25198038

Sounds good thank you I'll look into this
Welcome To BYC

These are photos of her wounds from last night

Attachments

• IMG_0618.PNG
    IMG_0618.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0617.PNG
    IMG_0617.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
She looks fairly bright.
Pretty girl too.:) I'm not a breed expert so wouldn't be able to tell you what she is. If you want to possibly find out, take some clear, well lit (natural light is best) profile photos of her and ask on the "what is she" forum.

I'd continue to clean the wounds really well, give the antibiotic and see how she does.
I would leave the wounds uncovered, just keep them moist with the ointment and watch for any more maggots.

She may have suffered some internal damage, but there's no way to really know. The best you can do is keep up with taking good care of her just like you have been doing.

Please keep us posted on how she's getting along.

Back
Top Bottom