Emergency? Thunderstorm

MrTexan87

Chirping
Apr 20, 2024
Hello all im new here and new to chickens in general. I recently aquired 6 hens on a whim and i didnt have much time when they were dropped off to make a coop but it came up with something temporary and covered from the elements. However my hens have zero interest in it at all and they have been roosting on my covered porch at night up high on some old furniture. Well this morning we have big thunderstorm in texas and they are just chilling walking around the yard completely soaked...... i dont know what to do they wont go on the porch or in the coop and i feel bad. I havent picked any of them up yet... not gonna lie im a little initimidated haha. I will in time im trying to bond with them a bit first as they run when i get to close. If i walk or sit down they come up no issues.

The rain won't hurt them.

Can you post a picture of what they came with?

Hello all im new here and new to chickens in general. I recently aquired 6 hens on a whim and i didnt have much time when they were dropped off to make a coop but it came up with something temporary and covered from the elements. However my hens have zero interest in it at all and they have been roosting on my covered porch at night up high on some old furniture. Well this morning we have big thunderstorm in texas and they are just chilling walking around the yard completely soaked...... i dont know what to do they wont go on the porch or in the coop and i feel bad. I havent picked any of them up yet... not gonna lie im a little initimidated haha. I will in time im trying to bond with them a bit first as they run when i get to close. If i walk or sit down they come up no issues.
Eh. That’s how most my birds are. Not Star though, Star likes people, and she’s my nana’s favorite, so she’s allowed to lay eggs in the house.

Eh. That’s how most my birds are. Not Star though, Star likes people, and she’s my nana’s favorite, so she’s allowed to lay eggs in the house.
So is it normal for them to just chill outside in a downpour? I mean they have coverage they can get under but they are choosing not too lol

The rain won't hurt them.

Can you post a picture of what they came with?
Well they didnt come with anything my landlords son just brought them over in a dog kennel and i let them out as soon as i got them. They free range now but i made a temporary coop ill be making a much larger one this weekend. I added a photo also ive added a tarp over the top so its not getting wet at all. I close up the bottom with a pallet as well but they have never been in it lol

Attachments

• 20240417_071417.jpg
    20240417_071417.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240416_183354.jpg
    20240416_183354.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Well they didnt come with anything my landlords son just brought them over in a dog kennel and i let them out as soon as i got them. They free range now but i made a temporary coop ill be making a much larger one this weekend. I added a photo also ive added a tarp over the top so its not getting wet at all. I close up the bottom with a pallet as well but they have never been in it lol
This isn't safe/predator proof which is probably why they aren't using it.
It's also too small for 6 bird to roost in. They prefer to sleep up higher. Hold..I'll find you a few links to better coop ideas.
BRB

This isn't safe/predator proof which is probably why they aren't using it.
It's also too small for 6 bird to roost in. They prefer to sleep up higher. Hold..I'll find you a few links to better coop ideas.
BRB
Yeah i completelt agree i have plans to make a much larger fully sealed coop im jusy in the process of getting the materials for it. I just figured they would prefer to be in here over outside short term. Makes sense though thanks!

With no coop and not having been "coop trained" they don't know where to go. They aren't sure where "home" is.

To train them where to go they need closed in the desired area for several days to a few weeks.
This makes alot of sense thank you. Im working on building a larger completely enclosed coop just trying to gather a few more items needed for the build.

Back
Top Bottom