Empty egg?

ravencreek

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Benton TN
ok this is day 21. I had to open the bator to add some water and noticed what LOOKED like a pip. Well I couldn't resist myself so I picked it up to listen. To my surprise the egg was insanely light. I have yet to smell anything rotten so is it possible the egg evaporated? I kept the humidity up and temps were between 100-101. Any ideas?

It woudnt have pipped itself
tongue.png
Eggs lose wieght as the get tword hatching ,
PS keep youre hands out of the bator
smack.gif

Good luck with the hatch:thumbsup

Thats what I thought too. But it feels empty. I also haven't smelled anything rotten and thats a good thing right? I mean if the eggs were no good wouldn't they start to smell? Even if they aren't cracked?

Did you candle it? I think you should and see if it is empty....maybe it was empty to start with. Has anyone heard of an empty egg being layed?

Well it wasn't empty when I put it in. But no I didn't candle. Last day I candled was 14. It wasn't empty or light then.

Well there is a hole/crack in it....I thought it was a pip. But wouldn't I Smell something? There is no bad smells in the incubator or the actual egg when I put it next to my head to listen. I have been fearing the worst(as I'm sure all newby's do) because my eggs at day 14 had no visible veins but they were mostly black with an air cell. So I thought they could be rotten then I was told I would smell them. Would I still smell something if the eggs are not cracked?

I'm no expert, but I would try to peel the shell around the hole a little bit and wet the membrane to see if anything is moving in there. If there is a moving chick you will have to keep that membrane moist to prevent it from sticking to the chick.

IMO, leave them alone for a couple of days and watch.....from outside the bator! see if anything happens. if by day 23 or 24 no pips or babies, then do a candling.

Back
Top Bottom