Emu and Ostrich what is the point?

I mean, I think the novelty of having Emus as pets (they are usually pets outside of AUS) are that they do make excellent and friendly pets when hand raised from young. They can be docile and interact as a member of the family. They lay beautiful green eggs, which in the US can be sold for a decent $$. Their offspring can also sell for decent $$. Here in FL, ive seen baby Emus go for around $200-$350 a piece, depending on stock and if they are sexed or not, etc. So that can be desirable for someone who is interested in farming or adding Emu to their smaller plot. I know a lady who has been hatching Emu for years, she has a 100% hatch rate, so she gets nearly 100% return for her investment selling Emu chicks (assuming theyre all healthy and survive the weeks she keeps them before sale). Anywho. Hope that helps.

Edit: wanted to add, their meat is notoriously tasty, and is a red meat (emu and ostrich). Ive had emu a few times when visiting AUS and it tastes just like beef. Its very good. So meat is another benefit. Also, when slaughtered, they contain Emu oil, which is quite expensive, and has healing properties. Ive seen jewelry and dusters made out of the feathers. You can utilize nearly every part of the animal.
Cheers! :wee
M:bun

Whats the point of having these birds? yes i get some farm emus, but is that it? and Ostriches? these birds don't lay a lot of eggs right? just good pets? you like them as an animal I can get that... In my country we need a license to have emus because they r native but not ostriches. ya can get em without a license... but why?
like the others said they make cool pets and can be rather friendly also in the states the eggs are worth good money even empty. As for ostrich mostly its for meat. the guy i got my emus from rased ostrich eu and reha for meat and to sell. he was a war vet and was missing fingers NOT from war but from his days as RATTLE snake breeder. he did say thet there was no money in the snake biz thus hinting that there was in ratites.

I live in Texas and my grandfather was a emu vet during the boom and my great uncle a emu rancher at the same time. but nowadays theres more money in eggs than meat or chicks.
Since i paid 100 each for mine, a sexed pair over a month old but eggs go for $35 easy.on

prices on a sexed chicks aver a month old in my area rhea seem to be the rarest but are fairly cheap i almost bought one on impluse when i got my emus but thought better of it.
rhea 150-200 a chick
emu 100-150 a chick 400 for a yearling 800 for an adult
ostrich 200-300 a chick

We raise our ostrich as an agricultural venture....Everything about the bird is valuable....They do lay more eggs than you think...Ours regularly lay over 100 per year.....Feathers, meat and oil are other products that make the big birds valuable...However, unlike emu, ostrich are not the best pet as the roosters can tend to be aggressive and a bit intimidating....

We raise our ostrich as an agricultural venture....Everything about the bird is valuable....They do lay more eggs than you think...Ours regularly lay over 100 per year.....Feathers, meat and oil are other products that make the big birds valuable...However, unlike emu, ostrich are not the best pet as the roosters can tend to be aggressive and a bit intimidating....
Curious what you do with all those eggs?
100 eggs a year from each female?
How many birds do you have?

We hatch what we need then sell hatching and food eggs to who ever wants them...Currently have about 30 left as we are down sizing.....We have been in the Ostrich business for over 30 years but are retiring....Will keep what we have for enjoyment.....The eggs and birds sell easily.....

We hatch what we need then sell hatching and food eggs to who ever wants them...Currently have about 30 left as we are down sizing.....We have been in the Ostrich business for over 30 years but are retiring....Will keep what we have for enjoyment.....The eggs and birds sell easily.....
So people eat the eggs?
Scramble one feeds 6-8-10?
How do they taste compared to chicken eggs?

Back
Top Bottom