Emu and Ostrich what is the point?

Whats the point of having these birds? yes i get some farm emus, but is that it? and Ostriches? these birds don't lay a lot of eggs right? just good pets? you like them as an animal I can get that... In my country we need a license to have emus because they r native but not ostriches. ya can get em without a license... but why?

Emu is very tasty. Years ago there was a pie shop in Barcaldine that sold emu pie and one other i remember between Central Queensland and Brisbane.

Yes ! We have sold over 400 for food this season...They are a little sweeter than chicken eggs and a little more liquid because they are 1/3 less fat and cholesterol than chickens....Much better for us....They are highly prized by pastry chefs as they make all baked things lighter and fluffier....AS for size, it depends on the age of the hen and also the variety of the bird...Ostrich eggs typically are 18 to 36 times the size of an extra large chicken egg with the average being 24 to 25 eggs....So , the average Ostrich egg will feed 12 people----2 chicken eggs per person...But remember, you do not need to eat it all at once...After removal from the shell they can be frozen and used as needed.....Thanks for the interest !

Emu and ostrich both taste great.

I’ve never kept either, but I assume part of the appeal with them is their size and uniqueness. Ratites are really cool birds, they’re at the top of a lot of stats for extant birds as well such as speed (on foot), height, weight, etc
Correct....Ostrich are the largest living birds and their meat is wonderful.....Has very little fat and is very mild in taste....They are a wonderful and unique animal that is different than all others ....The look on a child's face when they walk up and look at an ostrich is priceless...

Not sure about taste, aart; but we've seen videos here of emu eggs for scrambled eggs.

And as a wild guess: one emu egg has gotta be eight to ten times the volume of a hen's egg!

Supreme Emu

[Sooky Female One and Sooky Female Two both here at dawn.]

My allergist practiced for several years in places known for high tick populations. I'm blanking on what it's called, but she said lots of people in those areas would contract a tick-borne illness that causes an allergy to red meat. Emu and ostrich meat does not trigger that allergy, so affected people buy those meats in place of the usual beef or venison.

My allergist practiced for several years in places known for high tick populations. I'm blanking on what it's called, but she said lots of people in those areas would contract a tick-borne illness that causes an allergy to red meat. Emu and ostrich meat does not trigger that allergy, so affected people buy those meats in place of the usual beef or venison.
Pretty sure it's lyme disease

Not sure about taste, aart; but we've seen videos here of emu eggs for scrambled eggs.

And as a wild guess: one emu egg has gotta be eight to ten times the volume of a hen's egg!

Supreme Emu

[Sooky Female One and Sooky Female Two both here at dawn.]
I'm not sure as to the size but being that ostrich eggs are 18 t036 times the size of chickens that sounds about right...big, green and beautiful, an Emu egg Has to taste great !

I cannot speak as to the validity of this but it could be true.....These birds being poultry makes them very different from the others....Their meat is very mild and red in color....Most folks who try it are impressed...

Back
Top Bottom