Emu eggs yet?

Out of all the eggs I bought last year only 2 were fertile and they came from a private breeder in California so Irine I would reccomend your eggs LOL!
I never got any from Florida - hint hint Chickenzoo!

Hey Foulman and everyone...LONG TIME NO SEE!! Good to be back. It's weird you say your MALE booms all night..I have one that booms all night, with the longer neck feathers, and very large, noticable air sac...I'd say it's definitely a female..She booms all day, and most of the night. My 2 other "2 year olds" have NO noticable large air sac, and don't make a sound..maybe an occasional grunt..but that's it.

I think I may send feathers in to get DNA sexed. Because I'm just not 100% positive of the other 2's sex.

NO EGGS YET. mine are all in a 3/4 acre enclosure and so far..no eggs.

Dan

S.E.
Or hardly any boom or no boom, my 3 Girls ( 2 adults ) are totally silent, Boys only boom, like greeting me or who ever is nearby When you only have a few, you notice this better and this all year round, not just breeding season. lol. ( Just observation ) still learning lol.

Calla

Last edited:
Ahh. The emu Language here is what I got.
Booming deep low and penetrating .male or female
Grunt a bit higher pitch than a booming . A nasal sound . Usually male
A hiss brought on by an unfamiliar encounter. and as a warning to the chicks by a male. Females also do this.
Growl lots of these during mating season. Everyone seems to do it also. Seems to be a catch all emu phrase.
I left out any baby squeaks and peeps.
Most bird species males all have their songs and strut and show for the females. why would emu males be any different.
Watch the mating of your emus. you'll see the male boom to the female and when she nears he will fluff up and strut about. He will growl and lead her. She completely silent will squat infront of him . And business will comence. Then both birds will preen and go about their day. The only sound the female will make is if another was/ is around during the mating(kinda a social event) . She will hiss growl or peck the lesser female(s)
Again just my 2 cents.
What do your birds do?
Mine are kept in a heavily wooded pasture . No barns or structures . They are tame to humans but still able to get away from them if need arises. Not close to S.E. Environment by any means. I feed them but they still get a lot from browsing .
I finally got most of my torque sockets back while looking for eggs this week.
Yes they will eat anything that fits down their gullet. If i can find the #10 I can complete the brake job on my car.

Out of all the eggs I bought last year only 2 were fertile and they came from a private breeder in California so Irine I would reccomend your eggs LOL!
I never got any from Florida - hint hint Chickenzoo!
I don't recall following your hatch, I would love to see what hatched out :)

I incubated eggs last year and posted in the "hatch along" thread. I hatched one female but she broke her leg following me out of the shed. Her leg went in between the cinder block steps and when she fell over , she broke her leg at the ankle and it couldn't be fixed. Sadly she was put down. I will try it again this season. Hopefully I can get some fertile eggs from different breeders so the chicks will not be related
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom